1ITC collaborates with NHAI for green highways in Andhra Pradesh
ITC to develop eco-friendly national highways
- ITC is partnering the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) in its initiative to develop eco-friendly national highways (NH) by spearheading an extensive tree plantation initiative along the highways in the country.
- An agreement was signed between the NHAI and ITC in New Delhi in the presence of Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
Total hectare estimated for this ecofriendly project.
2Zuma faces no-confidence motion
Debating a motion to remove President Jacob Zuma due to scandals
- South Africa’s Parliament was debating a motion to remove President Jacob Zuma because of a series of scandals, including possible government corruption linked to the President and his associates.
- The ruling African National Congress (ANC) party, which has a majority in the Parliament, said it will not support the Opposition motion against Mr. Zuma
President of South Africa.
3India slams World Bank process on Indus Treaty
India’s plea for a neutral expert
- India lashed out at the World Bank over its decision to favour Pakistan on the Indus Water Treaty dispute process over the Kishenganga and Ratle dam and hydropower projects.
- While India had asked for a neutral expert to be appointed over Pakistan’s objections to the projects first, Pakistan appealed directly for a Court of Arbitration (CoA) to be set up as it claims India has violated the 1960 treaty.
The Indus Waters Treaty is a water-distribution treaty between India and Pakistan on Sep 19, 1960.
4Class X exams may be back
Favour of reintroducing the Class X CBSE
- HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said he was in favour of reintroducing the Class X Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) examination.
- Mr. Javadekar said that the change, however, would only be brought about from 2017-18.
Minister of Human Resource Development.
5Modi in Japan, all eyes on nuclear deal
Will India accept a nullification or termination clause?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe prepare to discuss the conclusion of the civil nuclear cooperation agreement.
- The deal, which will open up access for India to cutting edge nuclear energy technology, reactors and critical parts, has been held up for years over the clause, which stipulates that it would be cancelled if India were to conduct a nuclear test.
Prime Minister of Japan.
6Are you waiting for people to die, SC asks government
Children wore masks while going to schools
- The Supreme Court asked the government and the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) whether they intend to just sit back and watch people gasp for breath and finally die in a polluted National Capital.
- The Centre had promised to inform the court about its comprehensive plan to grade pollution and warn the public about the air toxicity levels.
Justice T S Thakur
Chief Justice of India.
7NGT for Central, State panels to monitor pollution
Governments to consider banning 10-year-old diesel vehicles.
- In an attempt to tackle pollution in the national Capital, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has asked the Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan governments to consider banning 10-year-old diesel vehicles.
- The green court has also directed the setting-up of centralised and State level monitoring committees to prepare action plans to combat pollution.
This is used for sowing wheat without any burning of rice residue.
8Brazilian free tailed bat fastest flying mammal
BRAZILIAN BAT IS FASTEST FLIER
With speeds up to 161 km per hour, the Brazilian free-tailed bat can fly faster than any bird or bat, says a study in Royal Society Open Science.
This is the speed that this bat fly’s.
9292 fair price shops lose licence
Fraudulent link of Aadhaar card.
Licences of 292 fair price shops across the city were suspended this week after the Department of Food and Civil Supplies found that the shops had fraudulently generated Aadhaar-linked biometric coupons, which are now mandatory to obtain foodgrains and other commodities in urban areas.
No of Fair Price Shops (FPS) across India
10Methane project stands cancelled
Cancelled due to some allotment overlapping
- The project to explore extraction of coal bed methane (CBM) in Tamil Nadu stands cancelled, which was announced by Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan.
- There is a dispute going on in Tamil Nadu in the Mannargudi area due to some allotment overlapping and local farmers are also agitating against the project.
Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas.
11HC upholds taxi aggregators rules
- In a setback to taxi technology aggregator Uber, the High Court of Karnataka on Thursday upheld the constitutional validity of the Karnataka On-demand Transportation Technology Aggregators Rules 2016.
- The compulsion on aggregators to disclose details of passengers to the authorities and requirement of having a minimum of 100 taxies to start an aggregator service.
Minimum number of taxi’s needed to start a taxi aggregator services.