1. Ban Ki-moon returns to South Korea in bid to lead it
Former U.N. chief faces an increasingly rocky political landscape
Ban Ki-moon, a former United Nations chief and prominent international figure, returns to his native South Korea in an increasingly uphill effort to succeed the nation’s recently impeached president.
11th President of South Korea.
2. In a first, Air India to reserve seats for women passengers
Six seats to be reserved for women; no extra charges to be levied
With an intention to ensure the safety of woman passengers, national carrier Air India will reserve two rows or six seats for female commuters.
Reserved for women passengers in Air India.
3. With a price tag of Rs 1,000, RJio’s 4G VoLTE phones can disrupt the market
Reliance Jio is working with Lava to manufacture these phones
Last year, Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio disrupted the telecom space with super affordable 4G tariffs. The company seems to be geared to continue its disruptive streak by launching super-affordble feature phones that, apparently, will do away with the need for smartphones.
Reliance launching 4G VoLTE-ready feature phones for this amount.
4. PM Modi ‘ejects’ Mahatma Gandhi in Khadi Udyog’s calendar, diary
Most officials were taken aback to see the cover photo of the calendar.
In a surprise development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has ‘ejected Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi in the 2017 wall calendar and table diary published by the Khadi Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
Change of cover photo
Modi weaving khadi on a large ‘charkha.
5. Wallet money will not be lost, Paytm assures users
Final approval for Paytm Payment Bank to commence operations.
- As news of this emerged, several posts on social media created panic amongst Paytm users, saying they will not be able to use their Paytm wallet or they would lose their money once the payment bank begins to function.
- Paytm rubbished these rumours saying the “Paytm Wallet will be transferred to the Paytm Payments Bank Limited as it is.”
Vijay Shekhar Sharma
6. Former Infosys CEO S D Shibulal rues dearth of ideas for rural India
While interview with Axilor Ventures mentor
Set up by Infosys co-founders S D Shibulal and Krish Gopalakrishnan along with other partners, Axilor Ventures mentors start-up aspirants with bold concepts. In an interview with Ayan Pramanik and Raghu Krishnan, Shibulal explains how his team focuses on creating an ecosystem for health care start-ups through collaboration with laboratories, hospitals and other facilities.
S D Shibulal
Former Infosys CEO.