You can signup with our website to
Get access to 200+ videos on Current Affairs, Financial Affairs, English Vocabulary for Free.
Vodafone spent most in the spectrum auction
- Reports have said that Telecom operator Vodafone spent the maximum, about Rs. 20,000 crore, in the recently concluded spectrum auction to gain 4G access in 17 circles.
- Bharti Airtel reportedly spent around Rs. 14,000 crore and the telecom major has 4G and 3G spectrum in all 22 telecom circles.
Doordarshan, IGNOU sign MoU to telecast Gyan Darshan
- Doordarshan and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) have entered into an agreement for transmission of four Gyan Darshan educational channels.
- The channel ran successfully till June 2, 2014, but was shut down by ISRO to facilitate migration from INSAT 3C to GSAT-10.
Mercedes-Benz posts its highest monthly sales in history
- Luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz has recorded the highest monthly sales in its history in September 2016.
- The Daimler-owned brand sold 2,11,286 vehicles in September, marking the first time it crossed the 2,00,000-mark in a month.
SEBI proposes ban on trading tips through SMS, WhatsApp
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has proposed a ban on unauthorised trading tips through SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook and other social media platforms, online games and leagues relating to securities market.
- It also proposed to curb unsolicited investment advice through electronic and broadcasting media platforms and a detailed advertisement code for those providing such advice.
Smallest transistor is 50,000 times thinner than human hair
- US Department of Energy has created the world’s smallest transistor with a working one-nanometre gate, about 50,000 times thinner than human hair.
- The prototype was built with semiconductor materials called transition metal dichalcogenides, instead of silicon.
Walt Disney World closed for 4th time in 45-year history
- Walt Disney World on Friday closed for the fourth time in its 45-year history as Hurricane Matthew approached Florida, United States.
- It has closed thrice before due to hurricanes since it opened in 1971, and was once evacuated during the 9/11 attacks.
PV Sindhu new brand ambassador of Vizag Steel
The corporate entity of Vizag Steel, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam, has roped in badminton ace and Rio silver medallist PV Sindhu as its brand ambassador.
Rashtrapati Bhavan gets 1st fast food outlet
- Subway India has opened an outlet in the Rashtrapati Bhavan, becoming the only fast-food chain operational within the premises.
- Inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the outlet caters to visitors of the Rashtrapati Bhavan Museum.
- The museum was opened on October 2 and showcases over 2000 artefacts from the British era.
Mumbai gets India’s 1st international arbitration centre
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Saturday launched the country’s first International arbitration centre in Mumbai.
- Fadnavis said that Businesses coming to Mumbai will not need to go to Singapore, Hong Kong or London for arbitration anymore.
Can switch to cleaner energy if the world helps: PM
- Following India’s ratification of the Paris Climate Agreement, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said India can switch to cleaner energy sources if the world provides the technology and resources.
- The Paris Agreement requires India to generate 40% electricity from “non-fossil” sources by 2030.
Tata Motors 2nd most valuable Asian automaker outside Japan
- Tata Motors has surpassed South Korean automaker Hyundai to become the second most valuable automaker in Asia outside Japan with $27.3 billion valuation.
- Chinese state-owned automobile firm SAIC, valued at $36 billion, is currently the most valuable Asian carmaker outside Japan.
80% Jan Dhan accounts functional with cash balance: FM
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said that 80% of the 240 million new accounts opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana are now functional with cash balances.
- He has said that All government programmes, like rural employment guarantee scheme, now transfer payments in these accounts.
Singapore seeks time to revise tax treaty with India
- Singapore has sought more time to revise the two-decade-old tax treaty with India, saying its investors need time to shift to source-based taxation.
- However, India has rejected any deferment in the revision of the treaty that will help prevent Singapore from being used as a shelter to avoid taxes.
- Notably, Singapore is the top source for FDI in India.