Current Affairs 10 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams
ITBP announces soldier medals for canines, horses
- In a first, the ITBP has instituted medals for the canines and horses that accompany troops in combat zones.
- An ‘Animal Transport’ medal would be given to its workhorse ‘Thunderbolt’ and a ‘K9’ medal to a female dog ‘Sophia’.
- This is the first time that an Indian security force has ordered the minting of special medals in this regard.
475-yr-old Chitrakoot Ramleela is the earliest known
- The Ramleela performed at the Chitrakoot ground in Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi, started 475 years ago, is reportedly the world’s oldest Ramleela.
- It is held over 22 days and begins with Shri Mukut Pujan, in which the crowns used are over a century old.
- The Ramleela has reportedly never stopped even during upheavals like the Babri Masjid demolition and floods.
Pune NGO wins UN Climate change award
- Pune’s Swayam Shikshan Prayog is one of the 13 winners of the 2016 UNFCCC Momentum for Change Award for its work in Rural Community Women Leaders Combating Climate Change.
- The initiative recognizes innovative and transformative solutions that address both climate change and wider socio-economic challenges.
- Under SSP, rural women are involved as entrepreneurs in propagating clean, green practices.
Almora temple makes Aadhaar cards mandatory to get married
- The Golu Devta temple in Almora, Uttarakhand has made it mandatory for couples to show their Aadhaar cards before getting married to avoid instances of child marriage.
- The priests insist on checking Aadhaar cards as they possess “composite information” including age and address.
- Four to six marriages are reportedly solemnised at the temple every day and nearly 400 every year.
Primary schools in Kerala get ‘edutainment’ textbooks
- A textbook named ‘Kalipetty’ aims to provide an edutainment (education and entertainment) platform that integrates games through learning situations, in primary schools in Kerala.
- The textbook, which means ‘Playbox’, has been developed in a scientific manner and is expected to simplify subjects.
- It is available to students of classes 1 to 4, the textbook will help them enhance their learning abilities
MP to launch ‘Lalima Abhiyan’ to make state anaemia free
- Aiming to make Madhya Pradesh anaemia-free, the state government has decided to launch a ‘Lalima Abhiyan’ on November 1, an official statement said.
- Under the campaign, free iron folic acid tablets will be provided in anganwadis, academic institutions and hospitals.
- According to figures, 52.5% women in the age group of 15-49 years and 25.5% men suffer from anaemia in India.
Bamboo schools help Bastar students continue studies
- A school in Chattisgarh’s Tarandul, a Maoist-affected village in Bastar division, has been made from bamboo under the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan.
- Since Maoists “disallowed” using concrete for construction, suspecting security forces to use them as camps, the Abhiyan gave its nod to the concept of bamboo schools in 2013. Sixty-five panchayats in Bastar have decided to build bamboo schools.
World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10
- World Mental Health Day was observed on Monday worldwide to raise awareness about mental health issues.
- The theme for 2016 is ‘Psychological First Aid’, which according to World Health Organisation (WHO), focuses on “basic, pragmatic psychological support” to a fellow human being in distress. As per WHO, ‘if we don’t act… by 2030 depression will be the leading illness globally.’
You may be interested
Daily Vocabulary from THE HINDU – Episode 128 – May 29, 2017Santhosh - May 29, 2017
Hello Friends, Based on the requests received from many users, we have introduced antonyms of the words that we are…
Introduction to Indian Cultural Heritage –Indian Culture and TraditionSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/lK3oqU2WNY0 In the first session we will be knowing gist of everything.. More than 1.3 billion people live in Indian…
Components of Computer System – An Introduction to CPU, I/O DevicesSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/A1LwJRYiaho Welcome to the second session of computer awareness series. In the last session, we have seen about the history…