You can signup with our website to
Get access to 200+ videos on Current Affairs, Financial Affairs, English Vocabulary for Free.
ITBP announces soldier medals for canines, horses
- In a first, the ITBP has instituted medals for the canines and horses that accompany troops in combat zones.
- An ‘Animal Transport’ medal would be given to its workhorse ‘Thunderbolt’ and a ‘K9’ medal to a female dog ‘Sophia’.
- This is the first time that an Indian security force has ordered the minting of special medals in this regard.
475-yr-old Chitrakoot Ramleela is the earliest known
- The Ramleela performed at the Chitrakoot ground in Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi, started 475 years ago, is reportedly the world’s oldest Ramleela.
- It is held over 22 days and begins with Shri Mukut Pujan, in which the crowns used are over a century old.
- The Ramleela has reportedly never stopped even during upheavals like the Babri Masjid demolition and floods.
Pune NGO wins UN Climate change award
- Pune’s Swayam Shikshan Prayog is one of the 13 winners of the 2016 UNFCCC Momentum for Change Award for its work in Rural Community Women Leaders Combating Climate Change.
- The initiative recognizes innovative and transformative solutions that address both climate change and wider socio-economic challenges.
- Under SSP, rural women are involved as entrepreneurs in propagating clean, green practices.
Almora temple makes Aadhaar cards mandatory to get married
- The Golu Devta temple in Almora, Uttarakhand has made it mandatory for couples to show their Aadhaar cards before getting married to avoid instances of child marriage.
- The priests insist on checking Aadhaar cards as they possess “composite information” including age and address.
- Four to six marriages are reportedly solemnised at the temple every day and nearly 400 every year.
Primary schools in Kerala get ‘edutainment’ textbooks
- A textbook named ‘Kalipetty’ aims to provide an edutainment (education and entertainment) platform that integrates games through learning situations, in primary schools in Kerala.
- The textbook, which means ‘Playbox’, has been developed in a scientific manner and is expected to simplify subjects.
- It is available to students of classes 1 to 4, the textbook will help them enhance their learning abilities
MP to launch ‘Lalima Abhiyan’ to make state anaemia free
- Aiming to make Madhya Pradesh anaemia-free, the state government has decided to launch a ‘Lalima Abhiyan’ on November 1, an official statement said.
- Under the campaign, free iron folic acid tablets will be provided in anganwadis, academic institutions and hospitals.
- According to figures, 52.5% women in the age group of 15-49 years and 25.5% men suffer from anaemia in India.
Bamboo schools help Bastar students continue studies
- A school in Chattisgarh’s Tarandul, a Maoist-affected village in Bastar division, has been made from bamboo under the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan.
- Since Maoists “disallowed” using concrete for construction, suspecting security forces to use them as camps, the Abhiyan gave its nod to the concept of bamboo schools in 2013. Sixty-five panchayats in Bastar have decided to build bamboo schools.
World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10
- World Mental Health Day was observed on Monday worldwide to raise awareness about mental health issues.
- The theme for 2016 is ‘Psychological First Aid’, which according to World Health Organisation (WHO), focuses on “basic, pragmatic psychological support” to a fellow human being in distress. As per WHO, ‘if we don’t act… by 2030 depression will be the leading illness globally.’