It is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. There are seven continents of earth. These are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.
Most populous city (proper)
Mexico City, Mexico
Sao Paulo, Brazil
CONTINENTS OF THE WORLD
(no. of countries)
HIGHEST AND LOWEST POINTS OF THE WORLD
Country or territory of HP
Country or territory of LP
China & Nepal
Israel, Jordan & Palestine
Laguna del Carbon
British Antarctic Territory
Australian Antarctic Territory
Variations of Continents
Supercontinents, largely in evidence earlier in the geological record, are landmasses that comprise more than one craton or continental core. These have included Laurasia, Gondwana, Vaalbara, Kenorland, Columbia, Rodinia, and Pangaea.
Certain parts of continents are recognized as subcontinents, particularly those on different tectonic plates from the rest of the continent. The most notable examples are the Indian subcontinent and the Arabian Peninsula.
Greenland, generally reckoned as the world’s largest island on the northeastern periphery of the North American Plate, is sometimes referred to as a subcontinent.
Some areas of continental crust are largely covered by the sea and may be considered submerged continents. Notable examples are Zealandia, emerging from the sea primarily in New Zealand and New Caledonia, and the almost completely submerged Kerguelen continent in the southern Indian Ocean.
Some islands lie on sections of continental crust that have rifted and drifted apart from a main continental landmass. While not considered continents because of their relatively small size, they may be considered microcontinents. Madagascar, the largest example, is usually considered an island of Africa but has been referred to as “the eighth continent” from a biological perspective.
Countries : 49
Demonym : Asian
Latitude : 10° S and 80° N
Logitude : 25° E and 170° W
Area : 44,579,000 km2 (1st in World Rank)
Population : 4,164,252,000 (1st in World Rank)
Pop. :Density 87/km2
Time zones : UTC+2 to UTC+12
Major Languages : Mandarin, Hindi, Russian and Arabic
Physical Aspects of Asia
Oceans and Seas
Artic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, China Sea, Yellow Sea of Okhotsk and Bering Sea
Ob, Yenisey, Amur, Yalu, Hwang Ho, Sikiang, Mekong, Tigris, Eupharates, Amu Darya and Syr Darya.
Baikal, Balkash, Van Golu, Turnool, Asad, Dead Sea, Tonle Sap Toba, Lop Nor, Caspian Sea and Sea of Gallilee.
Straits of Malacca, Bering Strait
Himalayas, Karakoram, Kailash, Kunlung shan, Tienshan, Altai, Sayan, Yablonovy, Stanvoy, Kolyama, Verkhyoyansk, Pegu Yoma, Arakan Yoma, Hindukush, Elburz, Sulaiman, Kirthar, Makran, Zagros, Pontic, Taurus.
Manchurian, Great Plain of China, West Siberian Plain, Mesopotamian, Rub-al-Khali, AI Nafud, Dasht-Deserts I-Kavir, Dasht -l-Lut, Gobi.
Ladakh, Tibet, Yunan, Takla Makan, Pamir, Armenian, Iranian, Mongolia, Alban, Indo-China, Shan, Deccan, Baluchistan, Arabian, Anatolia, Loess.
Kamchatka Peninsula, Peninsula of Korea, Peninsula of Indo-China, Malay Peninsula, Indian Peninsula and Arabian Peninsula.
FAST FACTS OF ASIA
- Asia is situated in the eastern and northern hemispheres.
- World’s Largest lake : Caspian Sea, which separates Europe from Asia.
- World’ largest salt desert : Dast-e-Kavlr, Northern Iran
- Asia’s longest river : Yangtze Kiang, China
- World’s largest archipelago : Indonesia
- Asia’s most saline water body : Lake Van of Turkey
- Country of canals : Pakistan
- Land of Rising Sun : Japan
- Lop Nor lake in China is a site for numerous nuclear tests.
- China’s Sorrow : Hwang Ho or Yellow river.
Countries : 54 (and 2 disputed)
Demonym : African
Latitude : 35° S and 37° N
Logitude : 50° E and 17° W
Area : 30,221,532 km2 (2nd in World Rank)
Population : 1,032,532,974 (2nd in World Rank)
Pop. Density : 30.51/km2
Time zones : UTC-1 to UTC+4
Major Languages : Arabic, Somali, Berber, Amharic, Oromo, Swahili, Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba
Physical Aspects of Africa
Oceans and Seas
Indian Ocean, Red Sea, Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Guinea, Mediterranean
Nile, Zaire or Congo, Niger, Orange, Limpopo, Zambezi
Kariba, Nayasa, Mweru, Tanganyika, Edward, Tana, Nasser, Chad, Volta and Assal, Victoria
Straits of Bab-el-Mandeb and Straits of Gibraltar
Atlas, Ethiopian Highlands, Mt Kenya, Mt Elgon, Mt Kilimanjaro, Drakensberg, Mt Carneroon, Mt Rouwenzori, Katanga Plateau and Jos Plateau
Sahara, Sahel, Libyan, Arabian, Nubian, Namib and Kalahari
Great Karoo, South African Plateau, East African Plateau
Madagascar, Cape Verde Islands, the Connors, Mauritius and Seychelles.
FAST FACTS OF AFRICA
- It is the second largest continent.
- It is also called as ‘Dark Continent’ or the ‘Cradle of Mankind’ because the africa is immensely rich in mineral and natural resources.
- Africa’s largest lake : Lake Victoria
- World’s longest river : Nile
- Congo river cuts equator twice.
- Orange river forms the natural boundary between South Africa and Namibia.
Countries : 23
Demonym : North American, American
Latitude : 7° N and 84° N
Logitude : 20° W and 180° W
Area : 24,709,000 km2 (3rd in World Rank)
Population : 528,720,588 (4th in World Rank)
Pop. Density : 22.9/km2
Time zones : UTC-10 to UTC
Major Languages : English, Spanish, French
Physical Aspects of North America
Oceans and Seas
Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of California, Gulf of Alaska, Bering Sea and Hudson Bay
Mississippi-Missouri, St Lawrence, Colorado, Columbia Sacramento, Rio Grande, Yukon, Mackenzie, Nelson, Saskatchewan Peace etc.
Great Bear, Great Salve, Athabasca, Winnipeg, Superior Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario, Great Salt and Mead.
Straits of Canada, Straits of the Caribbean, Straits of the Greenland
Brook’s range, Alaska,.Aleutian ranges, Cascade range, Rocky mountains, Coast range, Sierra Nevada etc.
Ungava, Yucatan and Kenai
Columbia-Snake, Colorado and Mexican.
Chihuahuan, Colorado, Mojave, Sonoran
Greenland, Baffin, Victoria, New Foundland, Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti
FAST FACTS OF NORTH AMERICA
- It is located in the northern and western hemisphere of the earth.
- World’s longest coast line : Canada
- World’s largest sweet water lake : Lake Superior
- 49th parallel forms the boundary between Canada and USA.
- The Panama Canal connects Atlantic and Pacific ocean.
Countries : 13
Demonym : South American, American
Latitude : 12° N and 55° N
Logitude : 35° W and 81° W
Area : 17,840,000 km2 (4th in World Rank)
Population : 387,489,196 (5th in World Rank)
Pop. Density : 21.4 per km2
Time zones : UTC-2 to UTC-5
Major Languages : Portuguese, Spanish, English, Dutch, French, Italian, Arabic
Physical Aspects of South America
Oceans and Seas
Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Pacific Ocean, Gulf of Paria, Gulf of Panama, Gulf of San Matias, Gulf of San Jorge, Gulf of Penas, Scotia Sea
Amazon, Magdalena. Orinico, Parana and La Plata
Maracaibo, Titicaca, Popo
Straits of Magellan
Western Mountains, Andes, Brazilian highlands and Guiana Highlands
Bolivian and Patagonia
Atacama and Patagonia
FAST FACTS OF SOUTH AMERICA
- It is located in the Western Hemisphere and in the Southern Hemisphere. A small part of the continent is also located in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Latin America, South America has the greatest north-south extension.
- World’s highest waterfall : Angel fall in Venezuela on Orinico river.
- South America’s Largest river : Amazon river (World’s largest rain forest)
- Driest place on Earth : Atacama desert
- World’s largest reserves of iron : Serra dos carajas hills, Brazil
- Coffee Bowl of World : Brazil
Latitude/Longitude : 90° S, 0.00° E
Area : 14,000,000 km2 (5th in World Rank)
Population : Officially none, but governmental research stations are populated with small groups of scientists at all times. In addition, during the 2009/2010 season, nearly 37,000 tourists visited the continent.
Demonym : Antarctican
Oceans and Seas : Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Souther Ocean, Indian Ocean, Ross Sea
FAST FACTS OF ANTARCTICA
- It is also known as White Continent.
- It is the southernmost continent in the world.
- It was discovered in 1820.
- Ronald Amundsen was the first man to reach geographical South pole in Antarctica.
- It is located in the Antarctic region in the southern hemisphere, underlying the South Pole, Antarctica is surrounded by the Southern Ocean.
- The Antarctic (or Antarctica) Circle is one of the five major circles or parallels of latitude that mark maps of the Earth.
- Erebus is the only active volcano on Antarctica.
- Vinson (5140 m) is the highest peak of Antarctica.
Countries : 50
Demonym : European
Latitude : 35° N and 73° N
Longitude : 25° W and 65° E
Area : 10,180,000 km2 (6th in World Rank)
Population : 739,165,030 (3rd in World Rank)
Pop. Density : 72.5/km2
Time zones : UTC to UTC+6
Major Languages : Romance, Germanic, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Baltic, Slavic, Albanian, Celtic, Armenian and Greek
Physical Aspects of Europe
Oceans and Seas
Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, White Sea, Baltic Sea, Norwegin Sea, North Sea, Alboran Sea, Gulf of Bothnia, Gulf of Finland, Celtic Sea, Aegean Sea, Adriatic Sea, Sea of Azov
Po, Tiber, Rhine, Ebro, Garrone, Loire, Seine, Weser, Elbe, Wista, Onega, Dvina, Mezen, Volga, Don, Dniepr, Dnester and Danube, Rhine
Ladoga, Onega, Saimaa, Peipus, Beloye, Inari, Markermeer, Iron Gates
Straits of Gibraltar, Straits of Dover
Vesuvius, Appennines, Vosges, Alps, Mt Etna, Dinaric Alps, Carpathian, Pindus, Ural, Caucasus, Black Forest, Mt Stromboli, Kjolen, Pennine, Cantabarian Pyrenees, Sierra Morena and Sierra Nevada
Massif Central, Meseta Central, Hardangervidda, Romanian Plateaus
Iberian, Balkan and Kola
Greenland, British Isles, Iceland, Sardinia, Sicicly, Crete
Gulf of Bothnia (Sweden and Finland),Gulf of Lions (South of France)
English Channel (Britain and France), Bay of Biscay (France and Spain)
FAST FACTS OF EUROPE
- It is the second smallest continent in the world in terms of surface area.
- World’s largest island : Greenland
- Balkan States It is a group of 9 countries namely Serbia and Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Albania. However, Montenegro became an independent state in 2006.
- Finland is known as the land of forests and lakes.
- United Kingdom is the name given to the combination of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Waves.
- World’s largest country of the : Russia
- World’s smallest country : Vatican City, Rome
Countries : 4 (Australia, Papua New Guinea, East Timor and portions of Indonesia)
Demonym : Australian
Area : 8,600,000 km2 (7th in World Rank)
Population : 36 million (6th in World Rank)
Pop. Density : 4.2 /km2
Time zones : GMT+10, GMT+9.30, GMT+8
Major Languages : English, Indonesian, Tok Pisin, Hiri Motu
Physical Aspects of Australia
Oceans and Seas
Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Timor Sea, Arfura Sea, Coral Sea, Tasman Sea
Murray, Darling, Swan, Lachlan, Cooper Creek, Paroo River
Blue Lake, Lake eye, Pink Lake, Lake Albina, Numby Numby, Club Lake
Bass, Endeavour, Backstairs
Great Dividing range, Darling range, Musgrave, Flinders and Australian alps
Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria. Simpson, Little Sandy, Western desert, Rangipo and Tanami
FAST FACTS OF AUSTRALIA
- Australia is known as Forgotten land.
- Australia is the world’s largest island, but smallest continent.
- It lies entirely in the Southern hemisphere. The Tropic of Capricorn runs almost through the middle of the continent and divides the continent in two equal parts.
- It is the only continent that is also a country and it lies between Pacific and Indian ocean.
- World’s largest reef system : Great Barrier Reef
- Australia’s Largest city : Sydney