Kohli named captain of the year at ESPNcricinfo Awards
- Indian international cricketer Virat Kohli has named as the ‘Captain of the Year‘ at the 10th annual ESPNcricinfo Awards.
- Kohli led India to nine wins out of 12 Tests in the year 2016.
- Stuart Broad bagged the Test Bowling performance of the year for his brilliant spell of 6/17 in the final Test against South Africa.
Government Issues Sovereign Gold Bonds 2016-17-Series IV
- The Government of India launched the 7th tranche of the Sovereign Gold Bonds and it will be the last offering for 2016-17.
- The Sovereign Gold Bonds 2016-17–Series IV will be issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on behalf of Government of India.
- Applications for the bond has accepted from February 27, 2017 to March 03, 2017 and the Bonds will be issued on March 17, 2017.
Governance survey: Bengaluru ranks 16 among 21 cities
- Patna, Kanpur, Lucknow and Ranchi are ahead of the ‘IT capital’ of the country, in a survey, as far as quality of governance is concerned. Bengaluru is ranked a lowly 16th among 21 cities.
- In fact, Bengaluru slipped four positions compared to the previous year in the Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS), conducted by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy. Thiruvananthapuram retained its number one position in 2016.
India, Oman to hold counter-terror exercises
- The armies of India and Oman are scheduled to conduct their second bilateral exercise, Al Nagah-II 2017, in March with a focus on counter-terrorism.
- India has, of late, been deepening its defence cooperation with the region. The Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba, is on a tour of Oman and the UAE to “explore new avenues for naval cooperation”.
Kabir Bedi appointed brand ambassador
- India’s most famous international actors Kabir Bedi was appointed as the honourary brand ambassador of Sightsavers India to prevent avoidable blindness by RN Mohanty, CEO of Sightsavers on February 17, 2017.
- Kabirs’s association would help the organisation towards a focused journey with amplified impact in the coming days.
- It replaced ineffective League of Nations on 24 October 1945 after World War II in order to prevent another such conflict.
- At its founding, the UN had 51 member states; there are now 193.
- The headquarters of the UN is in Manhattan, New York City.
The 6 official languages of the UN are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.
Gopi, Athare win men’s and women’s races
- Rio Olympian Thanackal Gopi won the men’s title in the second edition of the IDBI Federal Life Insurance New Delhi Marathon held on 26 February 2017.
- Monika Athare claimed the honors in the women’s section.
- In Men’s full marathon, Gopi clocked 2 hours, 15 minutes and 37 seconds to win the race in his first appearance in the event.
Trump quashes TPP, Canada pushes pact with India
- Canada is calling on India to fast-track a proposed bilateral free trade agreement (FTA). This is part of Canada’s attempts to strengthen ties with Asia following the decision of US President Donald Trump to pull out of the ambitious Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), of which the country was a part.
- Canadian International Trade Minister François-Philippe Champagne is scheduled to meet his Indian counterpart Nirmala Sitharaman on 3 Mar 17 to take forward negotiations on the FTA, called the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA).
You can also read Today’s: