1Centre adds 42 new seed varieties to OECD list
The government had included 38 varieties to the OECD list
In a bid to boost export of seeds, the union government has added 42 new seed varieties to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) list after receiving recommendations from the industry taking the total number of registered varieties to 190 and 24 crops.
It is a group of 35 countries which has set up standards for seed.
2Union Cabinet approves rationalisation of visa regime
This is expected to stimulate economic growth, increase earnings from export
- The Union Cabinet approved the liberalisation, simplification and rationalisation of the country’s visa regime to stimulate economic growth and ease travel for foreigners.
- The Cabinet meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Digital India
- Make in India
3Play National Anthem before every movie in theaters: Supreme Court
National Anthem should not be printed on undesirable objects
In a bid to “instill committed patriotism and nationalism”, the Supreme Court Wednesday ordered cinema halls across the nation to play the National Anthem before screening of a movie and the audience must stand and show respect
- No commercial benefits be taken by a person by playing the anthem.
- Directs there should not be dramatization of the National Anthem.
4India to buy 145 M-777 Howitzers from US
Deal signed for $737 mn
- India Wednesday signed the Letter of Agreement and Acceptance (LOA) with the US to purchase 145 M777 ultra-light artillery guns, through the foreign military sale (FMS) route.
- The Cabinet on November 17 approved the much-awaited deal, which would add tremendous firepower to the Indian Army, especially against China in eastern front.
The air portable 155mm/39 calibre gun.
5Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter account hacked
Abusive tweets posted
- In a shocking incident, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi’s official Twitter account was hacked and abusive tweets were posted from the account.
- Even though the abusive content that was posted in a series of tweets were deleted immediately, Rahul’s office was not able to retrieve the verified account as the hacker/s continued to post from the blue-ticked account
6Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech exchange wedding vows
Baba Ram Singh Ganduan Wale in the village of Duffera on Sirhind-Chandigarh
- Cricketer Yuvraj Singh and model-turned-actor Hazel Keech exchanged wedding vows at the spiritual dera of Baba Ram Singh Ganduan Wale in the village of Duffera on Sirhind-Chandigarh Road.
- The wedding was a low-key affair with only the couple’s closet friends and family in attendance. Tight security arrangements were made.
- In a 2007 ICC World Twenty20 match, he hit six sixes in a single over.
- First all-rounder to score 300 plus runs and to take 15 wickets in a single World Cup.
7PM has enforced super emergency: Mamata
Mamata Bannerjee Narendra Modi, calling him the “Big Boss of the Big Bazaar.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Bannerjee on Wednesday slammed Prime Minister Narendra Modi, calling him the “Big Boss of the Big Bazaar.”
- Speaking at a meeting to protest the demonetisation in Patna, she thanked the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Samajwadi Party (SP) for extending their support while condemning those who betrayed the cause as “traitors”.
West Bengal Chief Minister.