Team of scientists propose “1st nation state in space”
- A team of scientists and legal experts has proposed plans for the first nation state in space.
- The 1st nation state in space is called Asgardia.
- Its citizens will physically be on Earth and will be citizens of their own country simultaneously.
Last surviving dog hero of 26/11 passes away
- Caesar, the last surviving 26/11 hero dog, died on Thursday(13.10.16).
- He was wrapped in the Indian tricolour and mourned by Mumbai’s police force.
- He was the last survivor out of the police dogs who were part of the bomb detection operations during the attacks on Mumbai.
US to train Indian officers in investigating terror attacks
- The US will be training two Indian officers in anti-terror measures.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to nominate two officers for training in one of the best courses in the world.
- The training is to deal with various situations, be it lone wolf terrorist attack or suicide bombing.
India loses its 100th tiger this year
- A seven-year-old tigress, Durga, died at the Thrissur Zoo in Kerala on Thursday(13.10.16).
- She seemed weak and was hunting goats and cattle calves.
- They named her Durga as she was caught on the day of “Durga Ashtami”.
Wonder Woman named UN girls’ empowerment ambassador
- The United Nations has named the comic book character Wonder Woman as its new Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls.
- The launch of the UN’s landmark global campaign which is to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world.
China bars parents from ‘luring’ kids into religion
- In Xinjiang a part of China,Parents who force their children into religious activities will be reported to the police.
- Hundreds of people have died in unrest blamed by Beijing on Islamist militants and separatists.
- Parents cannot “organise, lure or force minors into attending religious activities.
HP Inc to cut around 4,000 jobs within 3 years
- HP will cut 3,000 to 4,000 jobs as it faces continued challenges in the markets for personal computers and printers.
- It has been grappling with shrinking demand for PCs and printers as more people use smartphones and store documents and photos online.
- The company has about 50,000 employees worldwide.
Sachin ran 353 km between wickets for his 17,000 runs
- Sachin Tendulkar has run at least 353 km between wickets for his international runs.
- Sachin ran 7,275 Test runs, 9,192 ODI runs and 1,087 T20 runs, which corresponds to 147 km, 185 km and 21 km respectively.
- The total figure of 353 km excludes the runs he ran for his batting partners’ runs.