General Awareness 15th November 2016 | Current Affairs 15th November 2016
Jackie Chan wins Oscar after 56 years in film industry
Tom Hanks, Michelle Yeoh and Chris Tucker presented Chan with the award.
- With more than 200 films under his belt spanning a 56-year career, Jackie Chan has finally received an Oscar.
- The 62-year-old action star was awarded an honorary Oscar at the Eighth Annual Governors Awards at the Hollywood and Highland Center in Los Angeles.
For most number of credits in one movie and most stunts by a living actor in 2012
2016 set to be hottest year on record
World Meteorological Organization shows temperature rise.
- The world is likely to cross 1.2°C of global warming above pre-industrial levels in 2016, coming dangerously close to breaching the 1.5°C warming level, which is an ambitious target to stay safe from the worst impacts of climate change.
- Global temperatures for January to September 2016 have been about 0.88°C above the average (14°C) for the 1961-1990 reference period, which WMO uses as a baseline
COP 22 is expected to be held in Marrakech on 7–18 November 2016.
Class X board exam likely from 2017-18
Minister Prakash Javadekar has taken initiative to bring back board exam
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar said if a decision on compulsory Class X board examination is taken, it would only be applied only from the academic year 2017-2018.
- The Minister said the government will shortly frame rules to define “learning outcome” after the completion of each year of education of students in order to set the benchmark for their performance in schools.
Rajasthan had a literacy rate of 67.06% (80.51% male and 52.66% female)
I know what I will have to face: PM
Demonetisation is done for the welfare of people.
- Even as observers debate the impact of the demonetisation decision on the Uttar Pradesh polls, a few months away, Prime Minister Narendra Modi hailed the role of the State in his fight against corruption by helping his party win a full majority at the Centre.
- Mr. Modi recalled the promise he made to the people during the Lok Sabha elections that he would fight corruption.
legislative assembly election will be held in 2017 for the 403 seats of the Vidhan Sabha
Chinese media lauds Modi’s drive
New Delhi to learn from Beijing’s example to root out corruption.
- Chinese state media has praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s war against black money, but has advised New Delhi to learn from Beijing’s example to root out corruption.
- China promoted anti-corruption laws, improved the supervision system, deepened judicial system reforms and adopted measures to make sure the system is transparent.”
China Anti-corruption law
- Chinese Anti-Corruption Laws
- The Anti-Unfair Competition Law of the PRC
China insists on NPT for NSG entry
‘NPT has not signed, is essential to combat atomic weapons
- China obliquely criticised the India-Japan agreement on nuclear energy, pointing out that all countries were entitled to peaceful use of atomic energy so long as they followed the international nuclear non-proliferation regime.
- China maintains the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which India has not signed, is essential to prevent the spread of atomic weapons.
India first exploded in 1974
Historic gems in Geneva auction
Christie’s and Sotheby’s will showcase jewels likely to fetch record prices
- Russian diamonds that reputedly helped broker peace between warring empires three centuries ago will go to the highest bidder at the Geneva jewel auctions this week.
- The Swiss city’s twice-annual sales of rare jewels are often dominated by stones the size of door-stoppers.
Rare diamonds in auction
Diamonds weighing 52.55-carat and 50.47-carat, valued at $20-$30 million.
Carbon emission in India grew by 5.2% in 2015
Rise after three years of slowdown in emission
- While global carbon emission saw “almost no growth” last year, India’s emission grew by 5.2 per cent in 2015, says a study.
- Global carbon emissions from burning fossil fuels are projected to rise only slightly in 2016, marking three years of slowdown.
Percentage that India contributed of all global CO2 emissions in 2015.
Azhar: Uri out of India’s proposal to U.N.
NIA is progressing the reports of investigation.
- India has decided to drop any reference to the Uri attack from its proposal to be placed before a United Nations sanctions committee to designate Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as an international terrorist.
Suspicious Accused of Pathankot and URI attack.
Modi terms demonetisation ‘kadak chai’
He proves No for anti-poor’ and ‘anti-common man’.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the poor supported his decision to demonetise Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes and questioned the moral authority of his political opponents, especially the Congress, to criticise his step as ‘anti-poor’ and ‘anti-common man’.
- As a door-to-door operation against black money would have taken years, he said he was left with only the demonetisation solution.
Benefits of Demonetisation
- Poor people
- Good for the country on whole.
You may be interested
Daily Vocabulary from THE HINDU – Episode 128 – May 29, 2017Santhosh - May 29, 2017
Hello Friends, Based on the requests received from many users, we have introduced antonyms of the words that we are…
Introduction to Indian Cultural Heritage –Indian Culture and TraditionSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/lK3oqU2WNY0 In the first session we will be knowing gist of everything.. More than 1.3 billion people live in Indian…
Components of Computer System – An Introduction to CPU, I/O DevicesSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/A1LwJRYiaho Welcome to the second session of computer awareness series. In the last session, we have seen about the history…