1A Laser-Sharp View of Blended Wing Body Plane Design
- NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, used lasers inside the 22-Foot Subsonic Tunnel to map how air flows over a Boeing Blended Wing Body (BWB).
- It named for the technique is particle image velocimetry.
2UN declared Kalam’s birthday as World Students’ Day
- President of India, APJ Abdul Kalam was a scientist, who made India proud with his missile defence programme.
- Due to his love for students and focus on promoting education, the United Nations declared his birthday (October 15) as ‘World Student’s Day’ in 2010.
- Kalam visited Switzerland, after which the country declared May 26 to be observed as ‘Science Day’ as a mark of respect and in honour of his visit.
3Dutch Open: Ajay Jayaram back in the final, seeks a hattrick of titles
- Netherlands continues to be a happy hunting ground for Indian shuttler Ajay Jayaram.
- The 20th ranked Jayaram’s opponent in the final has not yet been decided. He will face the winner of the semi-final between the second seed Tzu Wei Wang and fourth seed Emil Holst.
4 Chinese Taipei Masters: Sourabh Varma upsets top seed Hsu Jen Hao to enter final
- A brilliant Sourabh Varma upset the top seed and World No. 22 Hsu Jen Hao to enter the final of the $55,000 Chinese Taipei Masters on Saturday.
- The Indian shuttler staved off a late fightback from the local star to finish in straight games, 11-4, 11-7, 11-9. The semi-final contest lasted 33 minutes.
- He will face the winner of the semi-final between the fifth seed Lin Yu Hsien and Daren Liew.
5India, Russia sign ₹33k crore air defence system deal
- PM Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin held wide-ranging talks covering the entire expanse of bilateral engagement.
- Two sides signed a total of 16 MoUs and made three announcements to boost ties in sectors like trade and investment, hydrocarbons, space and smart cities.
- The defence deals included India buying the ‘gamechanger’ S-400 Triumf air defence systems from Russia at a cost of over USD 5 billion.
6India takes up terrorist Masood Azhar’s issue with China
- India has taken up with Beijing the issue of China putting on hold again inclusion of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar’s name in the UN’s designated list of terrorists.
- Beijing’s latest move comes nearly two weeks after four Pakistani terrorists killed 18 Indian soldiers in cross-border terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri.
7Russia, India to form $1 billion joint fund
- Moscow has agreed to pump in US $500 million into the Indian infrastructure space.
- Along with an equal investment by the newly formed National Infrastructure Investment Fund (NIIF), to form a US $1 billion ‘Russian Indian Investment Fund’.