1Sindhu enters second round at Denmark Open
- Rio Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu made a resounding start to her campaign at Denmark Open.
- She defeating China’s He Bingjiao in straight games in the women’s singles competition of the $700,000 Premier Super Series badminton event.
2Nepal to table Constitution amendment proposal by 6 Nov 16
- Prime Minister Prachanda said “The government aims at tabling a Constitution amendment proposal in the Parliament before 6 Nov 16”.
- He will try to build consensus among the major stakeholders, including the agitating Madhesis.
- While addressing the Parliament to inform about his recently concluded visit to Goa to attend the BRICS- BIMSTEC Outreach Summit earlier this week.
3NASA probe spots possible clouds over Pluto
- Nasa’s New Horizons space probe has spotted possible clouds hovering over Pluto, indicating that the weather on the icy dwarf planet is more comple.
- We’re excited about the exploration ahead for New Horizons, and also about what we are still discovering from Pluto flyby data.
4Hyderabad firm develops pig tapeworm vaccine
- Indian Immunologicals Ltd has unveiled a vaccine to fight against tapeworms in pigs.
- CYSVAX, the vaccine, is the world’s first such, the Hyderabad-headquartered wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Dairy Development Board said on 19 Wed 16.
- The recombinant porcine (Pigs) Cysticercosis vaccine developed by IIL also has the potential to significantly reduce the incidence of epilepsy in humans.
5India, China hold joint army exercise in J&K
- A fictitious situation of earthquake striking a village was painted.
- Teams carried out rescue operations, rendering of medical assistance.
- It was held on 6 Feb 16 in the area of Border Personnel Meeting Hut at Chushul Garrison of Eastern Ladakh, along with Chinese troops of Moldo Garrison.
6No decision yet on GST rates as States oppose cess
- The GST Council’s third round of deliberations ended on 19 Wed 16 without a decision on the rates structure after most States objected to a proposal to levy an additional cess on demerit goods.
- It comprising Ministers from all the States and headed by Arun Jaitely will meet next on 3-4 Nov 16 to decide on the GST rates structure.
7India to lease 2nd Akula-class nuclear sub from Russia
- Russian journal confirms India-Russia pact over nuclear submarine.
- Deal was finalised in Goa on sidelines of BRICS summit.
- India already operates an Akula 2 submarine under lease.
- It was 8,140 ton submarine was signed for a period of April 2012 upto 10 year.
8Russia taunts US with biggest military offensive since Cold War
- Russia has begun its biggest surface deployment since the end of the Cold War as it prepares to effectively end the war in Syria.
- The final bombardment is designed to shore up the Assad regime by wiping out rebels paving the way for a Russian exit from the civil war.
9U.S. hails easing of curbs on NGO
- The U.S. has welcomed the partial relaxation of restrictions imposed by the Indian government on Compassion International (CI), a Christian charity based in Colorado.
- It will continue to push for “a more welcoming environment for NGOs”.
10Indian scientists produce electricity from water without using energy:
- Electricity from water hydroelectric cell without any power or chemicals now possible.
- Dr RK Kotnala from Delhi’s National Physical Laboratory (NPL) have devised a novel way of producing electricity from water hydroelectric cell at room temperature.
- It can produce 8 mA current and 0.98 volt. Four cells (of 2-inch diameter) can operate a small plastic fan or a LED light of 1 watt.