Current Affairs 24th November 2016 | General Awareness 24th November 2016
Amartya Sen out from Nalanda University as govt reconstitutes board
Decade long association with Nalanda ends.
- Nobel-Laureate economist Amartya Sen’s nearly a decade-long association with Nalanda University has come to an end with the government reconstituting the governing body of the prestigious institute.
- A critic of prime minister Narendra Modi, was chancellor of the university and his term had come to an end in July last year but he had continued his association as a member of its Governing Board
East Asia Summit
The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 14 December 2005.
Wriddhiman Saha ruled out of third Test series.
Parthiv named as replacement for Saha
- India wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha has been ruled out of the third Test against England after developing a strain in his left thigh.
- Prathiv Patel will replace Saha for the third Test
Since he played last Test match for India.
Trump chooses new US Ambassador to UN
Nikki Haley to be named as US Ambassador
- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has chosen South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, the first woman tapped for a top-level administration post during his White House transition so far.
- Mr. Trump’s plan to offer the job to 44-year-old Haley, a rising Republican star and daughter of Indian immigrants
- 116th Governor of South Carolina since 2011.
CAG flags tax breaks for companies
It has castigated the Income-Tax Department for extending tax exemption
- The Comptroller and Auditor-General (CAG) has castigated the Income-Tax Department for extending tax exemption amounting to hundreds of crores to several companies by inappropriately extending benefits available for infrastructure projects.
- The CAG said the biggest beneficiary was Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL)
Deduction is not allowed on private and captive facilities.
Amidst LoC firing, Pak DGMO calls up Indian counterpart
Cross border firing from both sides
- Indian and Pakistani DGMOs had an unscheduled hotline interaction amidst cross border firing from both sides.
- The Indian DGMO has emphatically stated that retaliatory firing was carried out targetting locations from where Pakistan had initiated ceasefire violation.
Director General of Military Operations.
Opposition MPs take to the streets
MPs gathered in front of Mahatma Gandhi’s statue to register their protest
- A united Opposition took its battle against the Modi government on the demonetisation issue from Parliament to the streets.
- Even as nearly 200 Opposition MPs gathered in front of Mahatma Gandhi’s statue on the Parliament House grounds in the morning to register their protest, they announced a joint countrywide protest.
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister.
SC won’t stay note ban cases in HCs though govt. claims success
No stay cases for Demonetisation
- The Supreme Court refused to stay the cases in High Courts against the demonetisation of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes.
- A Bench led by Chief Justice of India T.S. Thakur said the petitions in the various High Courts highlighted the different inconveniences across the country.
Chief Justice of India.
‘Ayes’ carry the day in NaMo app survey
People appreciated Modi for such move.
- As many as 90 per cent of the people who participated in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s app-based survey to gather public opinion on demonetisation think that the “government’s move to tackle black money is brilliant/nice” and support the ban on old Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 notes.
- The 10-question survey, which was conducted through the PM’s personal mobile app, got around five lakh responses from across 2,000 locations within 24 hours.
Respondent found demontisation is worth.
You may be interested
Introduction to Indian Cultural Heritage –Indian Culture and TraditionSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/lK3oqU2WNY0 In the first session we will be knowing gist of everything.. More than 1.3 billion people live in Indian…
Components of Computer System – An Introduction to CPU, I/O DevicesSanthosh - May 29, 2017
https://youtu.be/A1LwJRYiaho Welcome to the second session of computer awareness series. In the last session, we have seen about the history…
Daily Vocabulary from THE HINDU – Episode 127 – May 27, 2017Santhosh - May 27, 2017
Hello Friends, Based on the requests received from many users, we have introduced antonyms of the words that we are…