TCS chief N Chandrasekaran, JLR CEO Ralf Speth join Tata Sons board
- Ratan Tata on 24 oct 16 followed up the sacking of Tata Sons Chairman Cyrus Mistry by inducting two new directors into the board of the holding company.
- He asked CEOs of group firms to focus on their businesses and enhancing returns to shareholders without being distracted by change in top leadership.
- Tata, 78, told the top executives of the USD 100 billion conglomerate. JLR and TCS are the most profitable of the 100 companies in Tata stable.
About 5 lakh TB patients contacted govt. clinics, still went untreated
- India (2013) had about 2.7 million people with Tuberculosis, which is 23 per cent of the global burden of the disease.
- India also accounted for 27 per cent (760,000) of the world’s “missing” patients those may not have received effective.
- 13 per cent (over 200,000) patients who were diagnosed were lost before the start of treatment about 16 per cent of smear-positive TB patients and about 10.5 per cent of smear-negative patients.
Reduced role for Centre in CBI appointment
- In May 2013 the Supreme Court, while hearing the ‘Coalgate probe report’, had described the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- As a ‘caged parrot speaking in its master’s voice.’
- Come 23 Dec 16, the CBI would have a brand new Director of Prosecution with a nominal role for the Union government in the selection of the candidate.
Tamil Nadu opposes Centre’s stand on tribunal
- The position taken by the Centre that the Supreme Court has no power to judicially review the Cauvery tribunal’s 2007 award
- It is tantamount to giving the tribunal “absolute, uncontrolled, uncanalised and unguided judicial power which negates the rule of law,” Tamil Nadu.
This Is Why Half the Internet Shut Down Today
- Twitter, Spotify and Reddit, and a huge swath of other websites were down or screwed up this morning.
- This was happening as hackers unleashed a large distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on the servers of Dyn, a major DNS host.
- It’s probably safe to assume that the two situations are related.
Three-time salary hike proposed for President
- Union Home Ministry draws Rs. 2.25 lakh per month.
- The implementation of the 7th Pay Commission’s and Cabinet Secretary gets Rs. 2.5 lakh per month.
- The President’s salary may go up to Rs. 5 lakh and that of the Vice-President up to Rs. 3.5 lakh.
U.S. author Paul Beatty wins Man Booker Prize
- The novel is a “shocking and unexpectedly funny” portrayal of his native Los Angeles, say the jury.
- The first U.S. author to win the Man Booker Prize the most prestigious English-language literary award for his novel The Sellout.
- The Sellout is Beatty’s fourth novel and earlier this year it won the National Book Critics Circle Award in the United States.
SC declines debate on 20-year-old verdict defining ‘Hindutva’
- The 1995 judgment defined Hindutva or Hinduism as a “way of life” and nothing to do with “narrow fundamentalist Hindu religious bigotry”.
- The Supreme Court declined anti-Godhra activist Teesta Setalvad’s plea to check the “devastating consequences” of its 1995 judgment.
- Chief Justice of India T.S. Thakur clarified that the Supreme Court is presently only examining what constitutes corrupt electoral practice under Section 123 (3) of The Representation of the People Act, 1951.