Attaining economic equality between genders will take another 170 years
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) said on 25 oct 16 to close gender gaps in pay and workforce participation slowed.
- The past year that men and women may not reach economic equality for another 170 years.
- The economic gap between genders could close in 118 years.
- But progress has decelerated, stalled or reversed in nations around the world.
India, Russia protest ‘double talk’
- India and Russia on 26 oct 16 called for “collective efforts to combat terrorism.”
- Condemning “double standards” in the fight against terrorism.
- Parrikar and his Russian counterpart General Sergey Shoigu at the beginning of 16th session of the Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Commission for military and technical cooperation held on 26 oct 16.
- Parrikar said one of the key security challenges faced by India is that of cross-border terrorism.
Rejected by NASA as they ‘didn’t accept girls’: Clinton
- US presidential nominee Clinton had claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13, expressing her desire to be an astronaut.
- The space agency turned down the request saying they did not accept girls, the former First Lady has claimed.
- Clinton, who later called the rejection “infuriating”, was born on October 26, 1947.
Tamil Nadu tops in use of preventive detention law
- National Crime Records Bureau data shows that 1,268 suspects, including 21 women, were detained under the law in 2015. The 1,268 detenues held across the State last year, 62 were graduates.
- The State also has 69 people, the maximum number, detained under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act.
50 former police officers executed by IS near Mosul
- The reported atrocities were perpetrated by the jihadists between 26 oct 16 and 30 oct 16, while Iraqi forces advanced towards Mosul.
- The UN said on 25 oct 16 that it had received reports of dozens of execution-type killings by the Islamic State (IS)
- Including the slaying of 50 former police officers, as Iraqi troops close in on Mosul.
IPS officer Karnal Singh appointed ED chief
- The Modi government on 26 oct 16 appointed Karnal Singh, 1984 batch IPS officer, as Director of the Enforcement Directorate .
- The ACC has approved the appointment of Karnal, IPS, 1984 batch of AGMUT cadre, as Director, ED till 31-08-2017.
- The order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training stated.
It’s Dalai Lama’s turn to visit Arunachal
- The timing of the announcement is significant as it comes days after China criticised Richard Verma, U.S. envoy to India, for visiting Tawang that it declared as disputed.
- Arunachal Pradesh is preparing to welcome the Dalai Lama for another controversial visit .
Federer most valuable athlete brand of 2016: Forbes
- Roger Federer, brand value of $36 million, was named the most valuable athlete brand of 2016 by Forbes.
- Federer finished ahead of American basketball player LeBron James and golfer Phil Mickelson
- His brand values of $34 million and $28 million respectively.
‘Narendra Modi Scholarship for Muslim Students’
- Aligarh-based group of Muslim intellectuals created it for economically backward students, The largest chunk of the 15,956 applications came from girl students.
- The applicants compete for a total number of 100 annual scholarships of Rs. 5.000 each.
Cyrus Mistry cites constant interference by Ratan Tata
- Cyrus Mistry wrote to the directors of Tata Sons, holding them responsible for their failure to discharge “the fiduciary duty owed to stakeholders”.
- Mr. Mistry said he had had to endure constant interference from his predecessor Ratan Tata and was “being pushed into the position of a ‘lame duck’ chairman.”