1PM Modi encourages UPI in his digital push
Here’s all you need to know about the app
- Advocating that India needs to become a cashless economy to root out corruption from the system, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the people of country to start actively using digital technology for their financial transactions.
- In his monthly radio programme “Mann Ki Baat”, prime minister today highlighted the importance of digitisation and cited e-banking, mobile banking and other facilities such as Unique Payments Interface (UPI) as important tools for shifting to a cashless economy.
Unique Payments Interface or UPI
UPI can be used both to send and receive funds.
Opposition wins nearly half of parliament
- Kuwait opposition groups and their allies have won nearly half parliament’s 50 seats, raising fears of fresh political wrangling in the oil-rich Gulf state.
- The opposition and its allies won 24 seats, according to official results announced by the election authority.
Kuwaiti citizens make up around 30 percent of the emirate’s population of 4.4m.
3Hong Kong Open:
PV Sindhu, Sameer Verma suffer defeats in respective finals
India’s hopes of winning twin titles in the Hong Kong Open Super Series were dashed when Olympic silver-medallist P V Sindhu and national champion Sameer Verma lost their respective final clashes in contrasting fashion in Hong Kong.
3rd ranked men’s badminton player in the national circuit.
Indian hackers bring down 41 Pak websites
- As the nation remembered martyrs of the deadly 26/11 Mumbai terror attack on Saturday, two Indian hackers brought down a number of Pakistan websites, including that of Jamaat-e-Islami party, and dedicated the cyber attack to all the Indian martyrs.
- The hackers, identified by their code names Ind_c0der and mikewaals, left the message ‘A Small Tribute to the Brave S0uls of Mumbai Terror Attack on 26/11
List of major websites brought down by Indian hackers
- Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan Political Party
- FATA PAKISTAN University
- University Of Sindh-Research and Graduate Studies
5Expenditure by States on key sectors remains flat
80 per cent of the total expenditure of all States.
Expenditure by the States on key social and economic sectors has not changed substantially following the implementation of the 14th Finance Commission recommendations in 2015-16, shows an analysis of the budgets of 17 States by PRS Legislative Research. These States account for over 80 per cent of the total expenditure of all States.
Union government was 55 per cent, down from 63 per cent in 2010-11.
6Transgender or third gender option now in railway reservation forms
(IRCTC) have included “transgender/third gender
The Railways and Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) have included “transgender/third gender” as a gender option alongside males and females in the Railway Ticket Reservation Forms (both online as well offline).
Indian passport application forms were updated with three gender options
7Facebook tests ‘Express Wifi’ in India
Facebook is now testing a new model for public Wi-Fi
Months after it received flak for allegedly violating net neutrality with Free Basics, social networking giant Facebook is now testing a new model for public Wi-Fi deployments for offering quality internet access in rural parts of the country.
Launched in 2014
It has partnership with Reliance Communications as Internet.org.
8Rosberg beats Hamilton to clinch world title
Nico Rosberg won his maiden Formula One world title
- Nico Rosberg won his maiden Formula One world title by securing second place behind Mercedes arch-rival Lewis Hamilton in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- Rosberg’s second place meant he clinched his first championship by five points.
He emulates his father Keke who won the title
9Armed men break into Nabha Central jail of Punjab;.
Set free Khalistan liberation force Chief Harvinder Mintoo and 5 others
- In Punjab, a group of armed men in police uniforms broke into the high security Nabha Central jail today and set free six inmates.
- Two militants and four gangsters, including Khalistan liberation force Chief Harvinder Mintoo, escaped from the prison.
Khalistan liberation force Chief.