1. ONGC May Acquire Hindustan Petroleum
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) may acquire India’s third-biggest fuel retailer HPCL in an about Rs. 44,000 crore ($6.6 billion) deal.
- The merger is seen as a part of the government’s plan to create an integrated oil giant.
- There are only 6 major companies in the sector – ONGC, Oil India Ltd, Indian Oil Corp (IOC), HPCL, BPCL and GAIL.
2. RIL market cap crosses Rs4 trillion
- India’s biggest company by revenue, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), on Monday crossed Rs 4 trillion in market capitalisation.
- RIL is the second company after Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) to cross Rs4 trillion in market cap.
- Currently, TCS has a total market cap of Rs 4.88 trillion.
- Last time, the company was seen achieving this milestone on 18 January 2008.
3. Oscar Awards for 2016 announced
- The Oscar for best actor goes to Casey Affleck for Manchester By The Sea.
- The Best Original Song goes to City Of Stars, La La Land.
- The Best Animated Feature Film Oscar goes to Zootopia.
- Bollywood beauty Priyanka Chopra made her second Oscars appearance. She was a presenter last year.
4. India, China seek common ground on Afghanistan
- Despite differences on a number of issues, including over the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), U.N. designation of Masood Azhar as a terrorist, and the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.
- India and China have begun to look for a “common ground” on Afghanistan during Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar’s visit to Beijing last week.
- Officials reportedly even discussed the possibility of “joint development projects” that could be undertaken despite economic rivalries between the two countries in other parts of the subcontinent.
5. Spacecraft to fly near the Sun next year
- NASA plans to send its first robotic spacecraft to the Sun next year. The spacecraft is slated to get within six million kilometres of the blazing star to probe its atmosphere.
- Humans have sent spacecraft to the Moon, Mars and even distant interstellar space. Now, NASA plans to launch the Solar Probe Plus mission to the Sun which is about 149 million kilometres from the Earth.
6. World’s first robot table tennis tutor sets Guinness record
- The world’s first robot table tennis tutor FORPHEUS in Japan has set a new Guinness World Record for its uncanny ability to be able to play the game better than most humans.
- FORPHEUS (Future Omron Robotics Technology for Exploring Possibility of Harmonised Automation with Sinic Theoretics) has officially been given the Guinness title for its unique technological intelligence and educational capabilities.
7. Top focus to be laid on expanding network in Odisha: Railways
- The Railways said the top focus will be laid on expanding rail network in Odisha, while priority will be to link unconnected areas of the state and improve connectivity to ports.
- This was announced by Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain reviewed the performance and progress of ongoing Railway projects with General Manager, East Coast Railway, Umesh Singh and other officials during a visit here.
8. Govt to bring new hydro policy next fiscal: Power Secretary
- The government will bring out a new policy for the hydropower sector next fiscal to boost this clean source of energy, a senior official said.
- “We are working on a New Hydro Policy for quite sometimes. We will do bring it next fiscal,” Power Secretary P K Pujari told reporters at a TERI event here.
- The new policy also seeks to bring large hydro projects at par with smaller ones in terms of availing various benefits.
9. Nokia Launched World’s First 5G Smartphone.
Mobile company Nokia come back with World’s First 5G Smartphone at MWC 2017. The company also launched an upgraded version of its popular handset Nokia 3310. After 17 years from his original launch.