Rs. 107 cr. for Bengaluru School of Economics
Funds will used for construction, recruiting, drafting UG and PG courses
- The State government has released Rs. 107 crore for establishing a world-class Bengaluru School of Economics, which will commence functioning from the next academic year
- Construction of buildings, faculty recruitment, and drafting of undergraduate and postgraduate courses would commence soon after the State Cabinet approves the proposal.
125th Birth Anniversary
The State government decided to set up the institute to mark B.R. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
IIT team builds solution that weeds out “clickbait” headlines
Beat reader fatigue with a Chrome extension developed by Kharagpur students
- Repeated occurrence of clickbaits can lead to important news stories getting missed out due to reader fatigue.
- Clickbait headlines were analysed using machine learning models and a classifier tool
Percentage achieved in detecting clickbaits.
Age limit for govt. jobs raised to 42
This is applicable for jobs to be filled till 30th Sep 2017.
- The Andhra Pradesh Government has brightened the prospects of more number of unemployment youth getting jobs through direct recruitment by raising the upper age limit from 34 to 42 years.
- This is applicable for jobs to be filled till September 30, 2017.
List of uniformed services which is not applicable under direct recruitment
- Forest Departments
Indian wrestlers in Commonwealth Championship
Wins 8 gold and 8 silver
- India continued their rich run in the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships by winning eight gold medals and as many silver
- India won five gold medals in freestyle through Harful, Bajrang, Jitender, Sandeep, Deepak and Arun.
- The three gold medals in greco-roman came from Ravinder, Krishan and Sachin.
India won five gold medals in freestyle and three gold medals in greco-roman.
New material may help reduce paper waste
Scientists have developed a low-cost rewritable paper
- Scientists have developed a low-cost, environmentally friendly way to create printed materials with rewritable paper that can considerably reduce paper wastage.
- Researchers Ting Wang, Dairong Chen and colleagues from Shandong University in China made the new material out of tungsten oxide and a common polymer used in medicines and food.
Names of the researchers
- Ting Wang
- Dairong Chen
Colour photo biography on Gandhiji hits market
The first-ever colour photo biography on Mahatma Gandhi, chronicling his life and times and containing rare photos, published by GandhiServe India, is now on sale.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Born on 2nd Oct 1869
500 FLYING DRONES SET WORLD RECORD
A new Guinness record has been set for the most Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) flying together, as 500 drones put on a light show in Germany.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Incredible India campaign
Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to be the mascot of the “Incredible India” campaign, with the Tourism Ministry deciding not to rope in Bollywood stars for the role which was lying vacant after the ouster of Aamir Khan.
It was introduced in 2002 to promote tourism in India.
Govt. won’t share details on RBI chief’s posting
No sharing of details of Governor and other candidates
- The Centre has declined to share details on appointment of RBI Governor Urjit Patel and other candidates short-listed for the top post in the central bank.
- PM Narendra Modi, will recommend the names for appointment of chairperson and members of financial sector regulatory bodies.
August 20th 2016
Mr. Patel was named as the RBI Governor to succeed Raghuram Rajan.
Govt. shuts schools as Delhi chokes
Badarpur power plant closed for 10 days; building works halted
- As air pollution levels remained alarmingly high, with a blanket of smog enveloping the city, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced that all schools in the Capital will remain shut for three days.
- The coal-based Badarpur power plant would be shut for the next 10 days. He, however, gave an assurance that the power supply to the city would not be affected.
Badarpur power plant
It was the first central sector power plant conceived in India, in 1965