India makes fresh push to gain NSG entry
With no change in China’s stand, a positive outcome unlikely
- India’s bid for membership of the Nuclear Suppliers Group will be centre-stage again this week as the group meets for the Consultative Group technical meeting on September 9-10, followed by the Plenary session in Vienna.
- The government hopes its application will be considered again, five months after the last unsuccessful round.
The NSG first met in November 1975.
It’s official: TN govt enhances maternity leave to 9 months
TN Govt increases maternity leave from 6 to 9 months
- Two months after Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa announced enhancing maternity leave period for women government employees from six to nine months.
- Woman employees “with less than two surviving children”, were eligible for the 9-month maternity leave with full pay.
Scheme for women
TABCEDCO – TAMIL NADU BACKWARD CLASSES ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION LTD.
ISRO to launch Modi’s ambitious SAARC satellite in March next year
Telecommunication and tele-medicine are two major areas to get benifitted
- India’s ambitious South Asian satellite, proposed by prime minister Narendra Modi for the benefit of SAARC members, will be launched in March next year.
- India had held deliberations with experts from other SAARC countries to finalize modalities for the satellite exclusively for the regional grouping.
Famous list of One-off missions
Commercial apps can now strike open data gold
Enterprising coders will soon be able to build services using free databases
- The Centre will soon notify a policy that will allow apps and services to be created for commercial purposes using over 42,000 databases. This will remove the restriction on their use solely for academic purposes
- The Open Government Data Platform publishes datasets collected by various Ministries and departments, including Agriculture, Union Budget, Transport and Commerce.
Some of open data platform
- Various Ministries and departments
- Union Budget
- Transport and Commerce.
India will aim to consolidate No. 1 Test ranking
India likely to draw all test match against England to retain its number 1 position
- The top-ranked Indian cricket team will be aiming to, at least, draw the five-Test series against England, starting in Rajkot on Wednesday, to ensure that it seals the No. 1 Test spot at the end of the year.
Virat kohli is the test captain for team India.
Rush at ATMs
Long queue was seen in most of the ATM’s
- ATMs across the city saw long queues of anxious people late Tuesday evening hurrying to withdraw cash ahead of the closure of banks and ATMs on 9th and 10th Nov.
- Many were seen desperately trying to withdraw notes of Rs. 100 denomination. Among them were people who had travel plans for 9th and 10th Nov.
New 500 and 2000 currency notes
Introduced to bring back black money to government.
SC directs BCCI to foot bill for England series
BCCI to bear its own bill for coming matches.
- The Supreme Court directed the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to bear the expenses for all the matches to be played in the India-England Test series till December 3.
- Ordering BCCI to foot the bill of Rs. 58.66 lakh for the first match in Rajkot scheduled for November 9, a Bench led by Chief Justice of India T.S. Thakur said that the payments should be made directly to the parties the board has entered into contracts with for the series.
Three ‘under cover’ Indian diplomats return from Pakistan
8 of 3 Diplomats who were in part of Indian High Commission have return home.
- Three diplomats named by the Pakistani authorities as part of an eight-member ‘under cover’ team in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad have returned.
- Diplomatic sources said that the three would be followed by the other five as soon as possible.
Persona non grata
Term which India used to remove Pakistani diplomats.
Rs. 500, Rs. 1,000 notes no longer legal tender
Decision taken to root out black money & fake notes
- Five hundred and 1,000 rupee notes will cease to be legal tender from midnight on 8th Nov, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in a surprise address to the nation. He said the decision was taken to root out the menace of black money and corruption.
- Notes of 100, 50, 20, 10, five, two and one rupee remain legal tender and will be unaffected by the decision.
Withdrawal limit for Bank
People can withdraw Rs. 10,000 per day and Rs. 20,000 per week.