1Only 1 person has been awarded Chemistry Nobel Prize twice
- British biochemist Frederick Sanger is the only person to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry twice.
- He received the award in 1958 and 198.
- He got awarded for his work on the structure of proteins and nucleic acids.
2‘N Korea may be preparing for 6th nuclear test’
- North Korea’s nuclear test site could signal preparations for a new test or a collection of data from its last one.
- The satellite images showed activity at all three tunnel complexes at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site.
- One possible reason for this activity is to collect data on the Sept. 9 test, although other purposes cannot be ruled out.
3The White Helmets congratulate Santos on Nobel Peace Prize
- ‘The White Helmets’ is also called as the Syrian civil defence organisation, who were considered the top contenders for the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize.
- They were congratulated by Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
- The volunteer rescue group has saved over 62,000 lives in Syria so far.
4India saw highest number of child deaths in 2015
- India had the highest number of child deaths (under five) at 13 lakh in 2015.
- Such deaths have gone down by half in the world between 1990 and 2015.
- India was followed by Nigeria with over 7 lakh child deaths and Pakistan 3 lakh deaths.
5Longest usable golf club measures 8.56 metre
- The longest usable golf club is 8.56 metre long (28 ft 1 inch) which was used by Michael Furrh from the United States.
- Furrh, who broke his own record for the third time.
- He achieved the feat on September 12, 2016, after hitting the ball a distance of nearly 54 metres.
6India has won all the Kabaddi World Cups
- India has won all the Kabaddi World Cups that have ever been held.
- The men’s team have won seven World Cup titles.
- The women’s team have won three titles.
7Govt launches LPG scheme PMUY in Maharashtra
- Dharmendra Pradhan an Union Petroleum Minister today launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in Maharashtra to provide free LPG connections to households.
- The move will benefit 91 lakh households living below the poverty line.
- A target of 10 lakh connections has been set under PMUY for Maharashtra in 2016-17.
8The 4th highest Test wicket taker for India
- Zaheer Khan is the fourth highest wicket taker for India in Test cricket.
- Zaheer Khan celebrates his 38th birthday today(08.10.16).
- He is also the fourth highest wicket taker for India in One Day International cricket with 282 wickets.