1Russia planning to restore military bases in Vietnam, Cuba
- Russia is considering plans to restore military bases in Vietnam and Cuba after shutting them down in 2002, Russian officials said on Friday.
- Officials have said that the move will “re-assess” Russian presence in the region to “correspond with Russian interests”
- Notably, the bases were made by the Soviet Union, which broke down in 1991, and then they were operated by Russia.
2PM thanks IAF for ‘protecting skies’ on Air Force Day
- On the occasion of Indian Air Force’s 84th anniversary on Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Twitter thanked all Air Force personnel for protecting the nation’s skies.
- President Pranab Mukherjee also greeted IAF, adding the nation is proud of its capability and competency.
3‘Swachh Bharat an adaptation of Egypt project’
- Citing an example of sharing of global best practices, World Bank President Jim Yong Kim has said India’s Swachh Bharat Mission is an adaptation of a similar successful programme of Egypt.
4Planning a pro-active hydropower policy: Power Min
- Power Minister Piyush Goyal has said that The Centre is planning to formulate a “pro-active” hydropower policy to push stalled projects and explore further benefits for the sector accordingly.
5US allows Sikhs to serve in army with beard, turban
- The US Department of Defence has allowed Sikh Americans to serve in the armed forces while maintaining their articles of faith like the turban and beard.
6Global dust storms could hit Mars soon: NASA
- Space agency NASA’s scientists have predicted that A global dust storm is likely to hit Mars in the coming months as the red planet is reaching the mid-point of its current storm season on October 29.
- Reaserchers have said that Correct prediction of the storms would be helpful for future astronauts, as it affects their health, electronics and solar energy availability.
7Indian beats world number 1 in int’l chess tournament
- India’s Harika Dronavalli defeated China’s Hou Yifan, ranked first among women players globally, at the Isle of Man International Chess tournament in Douglas on Friday.
- Harika, ranked 10th worldwide, registered her fourth win in the championship and is now 1.5 points behind the leader Eljanov Pavel.
- Indian chess great Vishwanathan Anand tweeted congratulatory messages for Harika following her win.
8Telangana’s ‘Bathukamma’ festival sets Guinness world record
- Telangana’s ‘Bathukamma’ festival on Saturday entered the Guinness Book of World Records as 9,292 women participated in the ceremony at the LB Stadium in Hyderabad.
- Despite heavy rain, women performed the rituals, said Guinness world record representative Jaisimha.
9National Postal Week begins with World Post Day
- The National Postal Week began on Sunday with the celebration of World Post Day, which commemorates the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in the Swiss capital of Bern in 1874.
- An official said India Post is also celebrating Savings Bank Day and Postal Life Insurance Day, among others. The celebrations will end on October 15.