1Two get The Hindu Saregama M.S. Subbulakshmi award 2016
Two young musicians were chosen as the voices of the year
- Two young musicians, Dharini Veeraraghavan from Mumbai and Tejas Mallela from Hyderabad, were chosen as the voices of the year at the fifth edition of The Hindu Saregama M.S. Subbulakshmi award 2016.
- The participants were accompanied by senior vidwans V.V. Srinivasa Rao ,K.V. Prasad and S.V. Ramani .
Voice of the year
- Dharini Veeraraghavan
- Tejas Mallela
2RSS to get spacious, new-look headquarters
A seven-storey headquarters for RSS
- The Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh on Sunday laid the foundation for a new-look, seven-storey headquarters in Delhi’s Jhandelwalan, with its chief Mohan Bhagwat, BJP president Amit Shah, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Power Minister Piyush Goyal in attendance.
- Mr. Bhagat said that it will be an office of the organisation, the RSS will not seek any funds from the public. Entire money for construction of this building will be raised from our workers and well-wisher.
Formed in 27 September 1925.
3U.K., France back UNSC permanent seat for India
A modest expansion in the permanent and non-permanent categories
- India’s bid for a permanent seat in a reformed United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has received a strong support from many member states of the world body, including the United Kingdom and France, which emphasised that the U.N.’s top unit must reflect the emergence of new global powers.
- More than 50 speakers shared their suggestions, perspectives and concerns over reform of the 15-nation UNSC during a General Assembly session.
India’s Ambassador to the U.N
4Israel President arrives in Mumbai on 6-day visit
Rivlin will hold meetings with Indian officials and the Jewish community.
- Israel President Reuven Rivlin arrived in Mumbai on Monday morning on a six-day visit to India to further strengthen bilateral ties.
- He will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and visit several sites of co0operation and joint projects between the two nations.
51958 cases resolved in mega lok adalat
A mega lok adalat held in five courts in Kanniyakumari district
- As many as 1,958 cases, including 70 motor accidents claims, were settled, and Rs.7.51-crore compensation disbursed at a mega lok adalat held in five courts in Kanniyakumari district.
- A total number of 8,228 cases were taken up at the District Court here and other courts in Eraniel, Padmanabhapuram, Boothapandi and Kuzhithurai. Rs.3.19-crore was disbursed as compensation for motor accident claims alone.
A total amount of compensation disbursed at a mega lok adalat.
6Modi holds late-night meeting with senior ministers on demonetization
Chaos and growing anger across the country over limited cash availability
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a meeting with senior ministers past midnight to review demonetisation and its impact.
- The meeting at Prime Minister’s residence was attended by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, I&B Minister Venkaiah Naidu, Power, Coal and Mines Minister Piyush Goyal and top officials of the Finance ministry.
Venkaiah naidu – Information & Broadcasting
Piyush Goyal – Power and coal.
7National Herald may be launched in online format
Launch on Nehru’s Birthday.
- The Congress’s mouthpiece, National Herald, may soon be launched in an online format, its newly appointed Editor-in-Chief Neelabh Mishra said on the eve of the birth anniversary of the newspaper founder, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- The Associated Journals Ltd. had in August announced that National Herald, which became defunct in 2008, would resume publication.
Founder – Jawaharlal Nehru in the year 1938.
8Tsunami hits New Zealand coast after powerful earthquake
The ambulance service will not receive any reports of quake-related injuries.
- An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.8 struck central New Zealand just after midnight, the U.S. Geological Survey said, generating a tsunami that hit the northeast coast of the South Island.
- In September, a strong 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck the east coast of New Zealand, generating a small tsunami, but no significant damage or injuries were reported.
Place where Tsunami hit on Newzealand.