Oltmans’ tenure set to be extended till 2020 Olympics
Men’s hockey team chief coach Roelant Oltmans.
- The Indian men’s title triumph at the Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament in Kuantan, Malaysia, has also led to a renewal of Roelant Oltmans’ contract with the team till the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- While Hockey India had already proposed an extension to the Sports Authority of India (SAI), the same was finalised by the SAI and the sports ministry
India won its maiden silver at the Champions Trophy in June 2016.
SPB to get Centenary Award at Goa film fete
47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
- Veteran singer S.P. Balasubrahmanyam will be honoured with the Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the year at the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) to be held in Goa from November
- Minister of Information & Broadcasting M. Venkaiah Naidu made the announcement at a press conference .
National Film Award
For best male playback singer six times.
Guinness World Record
For recording maximum number of songs.
Reporting of encounter killings mandatory: NHRC
A guard killed before the encounter
- The NHRC, which issued notices to Madhya Pradesh authorities seeking reports on the gunning down of eight SIMI men.
- NHRC said in a statement that it had always been concerned about custodial deaths and deaths in police action
SIMI – Students’ Islamic Movement of India.
NHRC – National Human Rights Commission.
Lesser wages for equal work is violation of human dignity: SC
Equal pay for all equal work
- Terming the denial of equal pay for equal work to daily wagers, temporary, casual and contractual employees .
- The Supreme Court has held that they should be paid at par with regular employees doing the same job as them.
Act of exploitative enslavement
Any act of paying less wages, as compared to others similarly situated.
Arnab quits Times Now
He resigned from the Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd
- Editor-in-Chief of Times Now Arnab Goswami has resigned from the Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd-run news channel.
- Mr. Goswami had fuelled the ratings of the Newshour, the prime time news programme which he anchored on weekdays at 9 p.m., propelling it to the number one position for eight years in a row.
Newshour (live debate)
He made it to be the number one position for eight years in a row.
Pune researchers turn insulating MOFs into semiconductors
MOFs are generally used for gas storage and solvent separation
- After four years of intensive screening, researchers at Pune’s Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) have transformed insulating metal-organic frameworks (MOFs).
- They are generally used for gas storage and solvent separation, into semiconductor MOFs by incorporating polymers.
IISER – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research.
MOF – Metal-Organic Frameworks.
NASA tech may help prevent flight delays
New technology to prevent flight delay.
- NASA has developed a way to prevent flight delays using a new technology .
- It safely increases the number of airplanes that can land on the same runway at busy airports by more precisely managing the time between each aircraft arrival.
Flight Deck Interval Management.
Post-Diwali pollution spike worst in 5 years
High levels of fine particulate matter seen
- The air quality this post-Diwali has been the worst in five years, with the recording a huge spike in concentration levels of fine particulate matter.
- According to SAFAR, the air quality is only expected to improve slightly day by day.
System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research
Xuan Zang to build another bridge to India
Chinese diplomats are using the famous traveller’s legacy to rekindle ‘cooperation’
- Seventh century Chinese pilgrim and scholar-monk Xuan Zang, also known as Hsüan-Tsang, is a traveller-historian familiar to Indians.
- The Chinese Consulate General in Kolkata has decided to use his work at a public event here to explain the depth of China’s relationship with India over the last 1400 years and focus on “cooperation.”
Buddhism entered Han China via the Silk Road, beginning in the 1st or 2nd century CE