You can signup with our website to
Get access to 200+ videos on Current Affairs, Financial Affairs, English Vocabulary for Free.
India, US armies hold joint training in Uttarakhand hills
- ‘Yudh Abhyas 2016’ exercise, the Indian and US troops on Thursday participated in joint training operations in the mountainous terrain of Uttarakhand.
- “The Indian Army, with its expertise on deployment and operations in mountainous terrains, shared its rich experience of mountainous warfare with the US troops.”
- Small tactical operations in the mountainous terrain, the troops were also given opportunities to enhance their skills in specialised mountain warfare techniques like rock craft, rock climbing and cliff assault.
Google to partner Maha govt to make Mumbai ‘WiFi city’
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and technology giant Google during his four-day visit to USA, his office has said that Google “has extended support in making Mumbai a WiFi city”.
- Under the government’s Smart City initiative, Maharashtra has been planning to install over 1,200 WiFi hotspots in Mumbai.
- Discussed issues related to clean energy, environment and urbanisation.
- Discussed possible ways to collaborate between state of California and Maharashtra government for clean energy,
Oxford replaces Caltech as world’s best university
- Britain’s University of Oxford is the new king of higher education, according to a new world ranking.
- California Institute of Technology — ranked No. 1 on the list for five consecutive years.
- “This year’s list of the best universities in the world is led by a U.K. university for the first time in the 12-year history of the list.”
- “It is the first time a U.S. institution does not take the top spot.”
‘Aboriginal Australians are the oldest civilisation’
- A Cambridge University-led DNA study has confirmed that ‘aboriginal’ or native Australians are the world’s oldest surviving civilisation.
- All present-day non-African populations are descended from a single “wave” of migrants, who left Africa around 72,000 years ago.
- Aboriginal Australians descended directly from those migrants, who entered Australia about 50,000 years ago.
Patanjali CEO debuts on Forbes’ India’s richest list
- Patanjali Ayurved Managing Director and primary stakeholder Acharya Balkrishna has debuted on the Forbes’ ‘India’s 100 Richest People’ list, with a net worth of $2.5 billion.
- Balkrishna holds 97% of Patanjali Ayurved, which he Co-founded with Yoga guru Baba Ramdev in 2006.
- Patanjali generated $780 million revenue selling products like cosmetics, noodles, and jams.
US kid writes letter to Obama offering home to Syrian boy
- A six-year-old boy Alex wrote a letter to US President Obama, inviting young Syrian boy Omran Daqneesh to live at his home.
- Omran’s picture had gone viral on social media after he was rescued by an ambulance when his home had been hit by airstrikes.
- “We can all learn from Alex” – Obama.
Will ‘solve’ cancer within next 10 years: Microsoft
- Microsoft says it is going to “solve” cancer in the next 10 years.
- Company is working at treating the disease like a computer virus, that invades and corrupts the body’s cells.
- Able to monitor for them and even potentially reprogramme them to be healthy again.
Government targets 50 medals at the 2024 Olympics
- Government think-tank NITI Aayog has released a 20-point action plan for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
- Aims at the country winning at least 50 medals at the Games.
- Agency has recommended identifying 10 sports with high winning potential and focussing on them, besides categorising players based on their potential.
- India won two medals at the 2016 Rio Olympics.