1. India misread our ties with China: Namal Rajapaksa
- India misinterpreted the Rajapaksa administration’s relationship with China, but it is silent on the current government’s engagement with the rising super power, Sri Lankan parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa, the eldest son of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, said.
- Considered a stronghold of the Rajapaksas, Hambantota houses a $1.5-million port that the former President built with Chinese loans.
2. Rs 3,308 cr project announced in BioAsia
The Telangana government signed a MoU with Cerestra to explore Life Sciences Infrastructure Fund to the tune of Rs 1,000 crore to create modular plug-and-play infrastructure for pharma/ biotech/ medical devices industry.
3. India to host to intiatives to combat nuclear terrorism in new delhi
In a move to rally support for India’s entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), New Delhi will host the Implementation and Assessment Group Meeting of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT) from February 8 to 10.
4. WLPGA 2017 Asia LPG Summit
- PM Modi inaugrated the WLPGA 2017 Asia LPG summit in New Delhi that will take place from Feb 7-8
- The WLPGA (World LPG Association) is organizing its major global event ‘the WLPGA Asia LPG Summit’ for the first time in India in partnership with the major Oil PSUs Indian Oil,HPCL,& BPCL
- The event will be atttended by more than 600 delegates from over 35 countries.
5. Uncertainty over U.S. nuclear plants for India
- Nuclear reactors in India after Toshiba Corp decided to move out of the reactor building business.
- Nuclear deal, India has been in discussion with Toshiba’s U.S.-based Westinghouse since 2005 to build six AP1000 nuclear reactors.
- Toshiba had acquired the U.S.-based Westinghouse, which specialises in nuclear reactors, in 2006.
6. 1st stable compound of chemically inactive helium confirmed
- Helium, considered to be a chemically inert and unreactive gas due to its extremely stable and closed-shell electronic configuration, has been confirmed to form a stable compound (Na2He) with sodium under high pressure.
- These findings were so unexpected that it took more than two years to convince science reviewers and editors to publish their results, said the lead researcher.