India’s academic ‘gender gap’ is same as US: Study
- Academically talented girls in the United States surpass boys in language performance and are narrowing the gap with their male counterparts.
- Talented youth in India, the gaps are wider, with boys holding an overwhelming advantage in math performance.
- In both U.S. and India, academically talented boys perform better than girls in science
- The results of a study of 320,554 gifted seventh graders in U.S. and 7,119 gifted seventh standard students in India.
Cabinet nod for IIM at Jammu
- Jammu is set to get an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) from the current academic session as part of the Prime Minister’s development package for Jammu and Kashmir.
- The project will involve a cost of Rs 61.90 crore in temporary campus for the initial four years from 2016 to 2020.
- Post Graduate Diploma Programme (PGDP) in Management is 54 which will progressively go up to a cumulative student strength of 120 in the 4th year.
BRICS people’s forums to meet ahead of summit
- A large number of people representing various social movements, trade unions, academia and civil society formations from BRICS countries
- To build resistance against neo-liberalism and corporate globalisation.
- The workshops will look at people’s alternatives built by social movements in BRICS countries as a counter to neo-liberalism.
India’s hydrocarbon fields: Govt goes on petroleum hunt via seismic survey, breaks ’25-yr deadlock’
- The government has embarked on an exhaustive seismic survey across 26 sedimentary basins with presumed presence of of petroleum.
- Dharmendra Pradhan said the R5,000-crore National Seismic Programme (NSP) was aimed at acquisition, processing and interpretation (API) of 48,243 line kilo metres of 2D seismic data in non-appraised on-land areas of the 26 sedimentary basins.
800 Gujarat schools penalised for overfilling classes
- The Gujarat education department has penalised around 800 self-financed schools across the state for exceeding the limit on intake of students in classes X and XII.
- The Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board (GSHSEB) had sent notices to as many as 812 self financed, government and grant-in-aid schools and slapped a total fine of Rs 1.36 crore.
Uri attack an act of cross-border terror, India has right to defend itself: US
- US supported every country’s right to self-defence and “empathised” with India’s need to respond militarily to the Uri attack, but stressed the need for “caution” and “prudence” given the state of its relationship with Pakistan.
- “We do empathise with India’s perception that they do need to respond militarily,” Peter Lavoy, a senior White House official.
Samsung offers U.S. Note 7 owners $100 to buy another Samsung
- Samsung is offering those choosing to exchange the phablet for any other Samsung device up to a $100 total bill credit.
- U.S. consumers opting to exchange a Note 7 for a full refund or for any other brand of smartphone are offered a smaller $25 bill credit.