You can signup with our website to
Get access to 200+ videos on Current Affairs, Financial Affairs, English Vocabulary for Free.
Army justifies bar on married women applying to JAG
- Indian Army on Monday apprised the Delhi High Court that married women are barred from applying for the Judge Advocate General (JAG) post because they may seek maternity leave which will result in discontinuation of their training.
- Army’s response came on a plea that said barring married women from applying for the post is “discrimination against females”
Only 1 PM got re-elected after full term since Nehru
- Manmohan Singh was the first Prime Minister since Jawaharlal Nehru to get re-elected for the post after completing his full term of five years.
- Manmohan Singh, who was born 84 years ago on September 26, 1932, got elected to the post in 2004 and 2009, while Nehru served the office for nearly 17 years from 1947 till 1964.
Firms moving to India from China: Chinese media
- China “needs to worry about the effect of industrial transfer to India” as the Chinese manufacturers are showing interest in moving to India, Chinese state-run media reported on Monday.
- Citing the example of Chinese smartphone maker Huawei’s announcement to establish production facilities in India, it added that “China cannot afford that”, as it will lead to potential job cuts.
Schrödinger’s cat behaviour filmed in atoms 1st time
- In a first, scientists have filmed the behaviour of “Schrödinger’s cat” in atoms, a paradox in which a cat placed in a box with poison, has a 50/50 chance of surviving.
- In the animations, two-atom iodine molecules split into excited and unexcited states simultaneously when hit with X-rays, showing that molecules also can exist in two different states at once.
Prabhu inaugurates six major Railway projects
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Monday inaugurated six major Railway projects in Kerala including the newly-built 9.6 kilometres long Tiruvalla-Chengannur double line.
- Prabhu also inaugurated infrastructure facilities at Kozhikode, Palakkad, Thrissur and Thiruvananthapuram railway stations through video conferencing from Kozhikode.
- He also launched a public Wi-Fi service at Thrissur station.
Olympians punished for salute invited to White House
- African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos who were sent home from the 1968 Olympics for their raised-fist protest on the medal podium, will be received at the White House this week.
- The duo had raised their fists in the air as a “human rights salute” to protest against the treatment of black people in the US.
SpaceX tests rocket engine aimed to take humans to Mars
- Elon Musk Co-founded aerospace company SpaceX on Monday test-fired the interplanetary transport rocket engine Raptor, which aims to take the humans to Mars by 2024.
- The rocket aims at a specific impulse of 382 seconds and a thrust of 3 MN (310 metric tons), which is more than three times that of the current Falcon 9 rocket.
French pilot 1st woman to compete in Red Bull Air Race
- France’s Melanie Astles became the first ever female pilot to participate in Red Bull Air Race, an extreme-sport air racing competition.
- The competitors fly high-performance aerobatic planes at speeds of 370 km/h, navigating through 25-metre-high light-cloth, air-filled guiding towers.
- “I’m very calm in the plane and you can’t be frightened, you don’t have time for that,” said the 34-year-old.