1Communication satellite GSAT-18 launched successfully
- India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 was successfully launched from Kourou in French Guiana.
- The launch was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but deferred by 24 hours due to bad weather.
- GSAT-18, built by the Indian Space Research Organisation, aims at providing telecommunications services for the country.
2Dead body must be treated with dignity: Odisha govt
- Following two incidents of a tribal carrying his wife’s body on his shoulder over 10 km and a woman’s body at a hospital being carried for the last rites.
- Odisha government ordered that the dead body are treated with dignity and respect.
- They said the body should be carried on a stretcher/cot as far as possible and it should also be kept appropriately in a designated place till all formalities are over.
3UN issues stamp to honour musician MS Subbulakshmi
- MS Subbulakshmi, who had performed at the world body 50 years ago was honoured by the UN Postal Administration as postal stamps.
- The stamp was released at a special ceremony at the UN headquarters to mark India’s ratification of the historic Paris climate deal.
- Sudha Raghunathan concluded the ceremony with a soulful rendition of Subbulakshmi’s music as well as of Gandhi’s beloved Ram Dhun.
46.9 cr teachers needed for 2030 UN education goal
- On World Teachers’ Day (5 October), UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) has released the first-ever estimates of how many teachers are needed to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 4.
- They aims to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- In the next 14 years, countries must recruit 68.8 million teachers to provide every child with primary and secondary education.
- About 263 million children and youth are out of school 25 million.
5‘Declare Pak a terror state’ becomes most popular petition
- Ted Poe, the Chairman of the White House introduced H.R.6069, the Pakistan State Sponsor of Terrorism Designation Act.
- Not only is Pakistan an untrustworthy ally, Islamabad has also aided and abetted enemies of the United States for years.
- Osama bin Laden to its cozy relationship with the Haqqani network, there is more than enough evidence to determine.
6Apple named most valuable global brand of 2016
- Branding consultancy Interbrand announced its list of the Best Global Brands of 2016 and, as mentioned, Apple is at the top. Again.
- Google, in second place, has grown by 11 percent.
- Google and Apple have been the top 2 for the last four years.
7Marie Curie’s family has won five Nobel prizes
- Marie Curie win two Nobel Prizes, but her family has been the recipient of five total Nobel Prizes.
- She won two, her husband, Pierre Curie, won one.
- Her daughter, Irène Joliot-Curie, won the Chemistry Prize in 1935 with her husband.
- Her second daughter was also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965.
815-year-old Indian girl wins U-16 World Chess C’ships
- Aakanksha Hagawane scripted her name in the history books.
- she won the girls’ under-16 title in the World Youth Chess Championships in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia.
- Viswanathan Anand, Pentala Harikrishna, Koneru Humpy, Abhijeet Gupta, Soumya Swaminathan, Dronavalli Harika, B Adhiban, SP Sethuraman have all won world titles in age group and junior (U-21) competitions.