IBPS PO 2016 Prelims Exam is going to be held on 16.10.2016, 22.10.2016 & 23.10.2016. To get selected for the next phase i.e. IBPS PO Mains (Tier II) exam, you have to qualify all the three sections (English, Reasoning and Quant) individually and also score well in the exam in IBPS PO Prelims 2016 Exam.
|Sr No.||Test Name||Qns.||Marks||Duration|
|1||Reasoning Ability Paper||35||35||01 hour|
|2||Quantitative Aptitude Paper||35||35|
|3||English Language Paper||30||30|
The English section can be divided into two parts:
- Common Errors
- Sentence Correction/Improvement
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Double Fillers
- Reading Comprehension
1. Cloze Test –
- First of all go through the complete passage and get a rough idea about the content and the message it conveys. Also note down the unknown words.
- In a passage mostly all the sentences are logically related to each other. These logic’s will give you an idea about the appropriate word for the blank space.
- Sometimes you can easily spot the correct answer. If not,then eliminate the improbable options one by one and get the right answer.
- Find a logical relation between all the provided options.
- Practice at least 4-5 cloze tests to check your performance.
2. Sentence Rearrangement/ Para Jumbles –
- Read complete passage properly to find out the theme of the passage
- Find out the Independent sentence, it’ll give you the lead (most of the time it’s 1stsentence)
- Find out the connecting sentences ( looking carefully for the repetition of noun with pronoun)
- Identify the pair while looking for some cause, effect, problem then its solution.
- At last, find the message, result and conclusion mainly representing the purpose of the passage. (special words – thus, therefore, hence, however, so etc.)
3. Double Fillers –
- Read the whole sentence to get the message and go with the flow.
- Go with the second part first to get the proper sequence or meaning of the sentence while keeping the grammar rules in mind (especially tense.)
- Think of the logic behind the option, you can also go with Odd one out strategy.
- Accuracy is the key, so better be sure before marking your answer.
4. Reading Comprehension –
Reading Comprehension is the ability to read text, process it and understand its meaning. In addition, RCs are aimed at testing a candidates Knowledge of two elements i.e. Vocabulary and Text Comprehension.
And it is interesting to note that both these elements play a crucial role in better understanding of the passage i.e. for understanding a text, one must have better knowledge of Vocabulary. But what is more complex and varied out of the above two elements is the Text Comprehension.
The current trend of questions that come in the RC are inference based i.e. the questions are not direct but one has to infer from the given passage. Also there can be one or more conclusions given in the question which are true/false depending on what is asked in the question.
Now let’s move towards the Approach that one should follow while performing a RC in the exam.
The most common suggestion and approach is first read the entire passage and then answer the question that follows. Firstly let’s discuss this approach in detail.
Try to make notes while solving/ reading RCs. It is crucial for locating the appropriate information and also acts as a mental bookmark, thus helping in better understanding of the topic.
- It is expected that RC passage will be based on Socio-economic issue comes in RC. So to handle either one must regularly read newspapers.
- Don’t spend much time on single question.
- Skip those questions which ask you to find out the correct or incorrect from the passage or have multiple options to look for.
- Keeping time factor in mind, it’s better to attempt only Antonyms and Synonyms.
5. Sentence Correction –
- Read the original sentence carefully and try to spot grammatical errors by identifying whether something “sounds” wrong.
- Always look at every choice.
- Even when the original sentence seems fine, pay attention to the grammar that it tests and look through the choices systematically to see if any provides a better option.
- As you locate each error, eliminate all of the choices that contain that error.
- Do not read each answer choice back into the sentence individually; that wastes time and invites inaccuracy.
- Instead, identify the differences among the choices and eliminate those that offer less effective or grammatically incorrect alternatives.
6. Spotting Error –
- In order to solve questions on spotting errors, the first step you should take is to read the complete sentence carefully. In most of the cases, you will be able to detect the error in the first go itself.
- While reading the entire sentence, you must carefully check the subject-verb agreement.
- If you can still not detect the error or you are still unsure of the correct answer, then you must read each individual part of the sentence and closely examine which part consists of an error.
Expected Topic wise Questions
- Reading Comprehension –10 Questions
- Cloze Test – 5 Questions
- Para-jumbles – 5 Questions
- Spotting Error – 5 Questions
- Fill in the blanks / Sentence Correction – 5 Questions
Now lets come to strategies for attempting English section
1) Always start answering with small questions like spotting errors, fillers, sentence rearrangement etc. and keep the comprehension for last as its time consuming.
2) No one can answer all the questions in English with hundred percent accuracy so attempt only those questions which you are sure about instead of making wild guesses.
3) Most of us are weak in vocabulary so don’t worry much about it, because there will be hardly 2-4 questions of that kind. You can even skip those questions.
4) While attempting fillers with two blank, there will be one blank which will be easy to identify and you can relate the second one accordingly.
5) Sometimes we face problem with sentence rearrangement also, so it’s better to identify the first and last sentence first and then arrange the remaining if you can.
6) For comprehension, go through the passage and questions simultaneously. This will help you in answering the question quickly without wasting time.
View the Detailed Syllabus for the Prelims in the below links for other sections