Hello friends, This is the Updates of Banking Affairs 30 March 2017. This will helpful for tackling Banking awareness section in SBI, IBPS, SSC, UPSC Exams.
1. Parliament Passes Mental Health Bill Decriminalising Suicide
- The Mental Healthcare Bill 2016, that provides for mental healthcare and services for persons with mental illness, and also decriminalises suicide, secured parliamentary approval on Monday with the Lok Sabha’s assent to the legislation.
- The bill, passed by the Rajya Sabha in August 2016, ensures every person shall have a right to access mental health care and treatment from mental health services run or funded by the appropriate government. It also assures free treatment for such persons if they are homeless or poor, even if they do not possess a Below Poverty Line card.
2. 55 megaWatts Bandla Power Plant by National Thermal Power Corporation
- The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) is ready to install Bandla Power Plant in Rajasthan to consume 55 MegaWatts power. With this installment, the total capacity is increased up to 620 Mega Watts. NTPC is the Public Sector Undertaking company responsible for the generation of electricity and allied activities.
3. 6 Crore Soil Health Cards Distributed
- The government recently informed the Lok Sabha that so far against the target of 14 crore cards distribution, 6 crore cards have been distributed and remaining cards are under printing.
- Adequate funds have been released to all States, funds amounting to Rs 23.89 crore, Rs 96.44 crore and Rs 126.47 crore have been released during 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 respectively under the scheme.
4. Centre may expand social security net
- The centre may consider extending social security benefits to volunteers under anganwadi, mid-day meal and Accredited Social Health Activists (Asha) schemes.
- A proposal in this regard was recently made by the EPFO to the Labour ministry. It proposed a lower contributory rate of 10% of income towards the Employees’ Provident Fund be allowed for scheme workers as against 12% contribution stipulated for the organised workers.
5. SBI Offers zero annual fee credit cards
- State Bank of India will offer zero annual fee credit cards to every account holder who has a balance of Rs 20,000-25,000. The Bank will not go into customers’ credit history and the card, which will be issued in the name of Unnati, will remain free for four years.
6. Karnataka Bank’s PoS installations reach 10,000-mark
- The total tally of PoS (point-of-sale) installations of Karnataka Bank Ltd has reached 10,000. The bank has been offering PoS services since 2011.
- This service enabled the merchant establishments to accept card payments and boost their business. The bank is also providing ‘PoS Manager’, an android mobile app to help merchants.
7. Paytm, The first e-commerce company to become ASCI member
- The country’s fast-growing e-commerce industry Paytm is all set to become a member of the self-regulatory voluntary organization Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) from April, 2017.
- The move is significant because advertising violations by e-commerce companies, which are big spenders on television, print and digital media, have been on the rise in recent years.
8. IRDAI imposed penalty on ICICI Pru Life
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development authority of India (IRDAI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 20 lakh on ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company on various charges.
- The charges include free look cancellations not being in line with regulations and delay in processing surrenders partial withdrawals.
9. Sima Kamil becomes first woman to lead a major Pakistani bank
- United Bank Limited (UBL) has appointed Sima Kamil as the new president and chief executive officer (CEO) of the bank.
- She will take charge on June 1, 2017 by replacing outgoing CEO Wajahat Hussain. She is the first woman to head a major commercial bank in Pakistan.