In this series of videos we are going to learn about basics on computers.
Competitive exams like SBI PO, SBI Clerk, IBPS Exams have a section on computer awareness. This comes effective to the recruiting bodies because nowadays almost all of the banking process has computerized. One must know the basics of computers to work in a bank.
But the ground reality is entirely different. There is no graduate without basic computer literacy is out there. However, the questions asked in this section is pretty much theoretical rather than practical. So to clear the exam we must study some of the basics that is prescribed and formulated based on previous year question papers.
So Lets’s get started with our first lesson that is Fundamentals of computers from this lesson. Share this article if you like it.
Fundamentals of Computer
Concept of Computer System
A computer is an advanced electronic device that takes raw data as input from the user and processes this data under the control of set of instructions (called program) and gives the result (output) and saves output for the future reference and usage.
Characterstics of Computer
- Speed : A powerful computer is capable of executing about 3 million calculations per second.
- Accuracy : A computer’s accuracy is consistently high; if there are errors, they are due to errors in instructions given by the programmer.
- Reliability : The output generated by the computer is very reliable as long as the data is reliable.
- Memory/Storage Capacity : The computer can store large volumes of data and makes the retrieval of data an easy task.
- Versatility: The computer can accomplish many different things. It can accept information through various i/o devices, perform arithmetic and logic operations, generate a variety of outputs and forms, etc.
- Automation: Once the instructions are fed into computer it works automatically without any human intervention.
- Diligence: A computer will never fail to perform its task due to distraction or laziness.
- Convenience: Computers are usually easy to access, and allow people to find information easily that without a would be very difficult.
- Flexibility: Computers can be used for entertainment, for business, by people who hold different ideals or who have varied goals.
In the next lesson we will see about History and 5 generations of computers.