Hello friends, This is the Updates of Current Affairs 23 March 2017. This will helpful for tackling General awareness section in SBI, IBPS, SSC, UPSC Exams.
1.India ranked 131 in human development
- India has been ranked 131st among 188 countries in the UN Development Programme (UNDP)’s 2016 ‘Human Development.
- It is third among South Asian countries (behind Sri Lanka and Maldives) and comes under the medium human development category.
- The improvement in India’s HDI value is second among BRICS countries with China recording the highest improvement of 48 percent.
2.World Water Day
- World Water Day is an annual event celebrated on 22 March.
- The day focuses attention on the importance of universal access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) facilities in developing countries.[
- Each year, UN-Water highlights one aspect of the importance of freshwater, through a theme selected for the day.
- Theme for 2017 is -‘Why waste water?’.
3.Vidya wins silver in Women world Snooker
- India’s Vidya Pillai produced a spirited performance before settling for silver in the World Women Snooker Championship in Singapore.
- Vidya defeated by Ng On Yee (Hong Kong) in the final,
- Vidya settled for silver, securing the first international medal for India in 2017.
4.ISRO commissions two facilities at VSSC
- ISRO commissioned two facilities- a Hypersonic Wind Tunnel and Shock Tunnel- at the VSSC at Thiruvananthapuram as part of its continuous and concerted efforts to minimise cost of access to space.
- The1 meter Hypersonic Wind Tunnel and one meter Shock Tunnel have been established with a wide spectrum of simulation capabilities in terms of Mach number, Reynolds number and re-entry velocities.
5.“Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi” medical services
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has launched the “Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi” medical services for ESIC beneficiaries of Delhi/Noida on a pilot basis in Nov, 2016.
- Under scheme Insured Persons and their families may seek primary medical care services.
- ESI Corporation intends to extend such medical services in other parts of the country depending on the outcome of above pilot project.
6.HIV and AIDS (Prevention & Control) Bill
- A crucial bill to ensure equal rights to people afflicted with HIV and AIDS in getting treatment, admission in educational institutions and jobs, was passed by the Rajya Sabha.
- The Rajya Sabha passed the Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014.
- The bill seeks to assure treatment to patients without stigmatising them.
7.Jadeja tops ICC’s test bowlers rankings
- Ravindra Jadeja tops the ICC’s test bowlers rankings leaving behind spin twin Ravichandran Ashwin in the latest list of bowlers.
- Left-arm spinner Jadeja moves past Ashwin after the nine wickets haul in the drawn third Test against Australia at Ranchi.
- Cheteshwar Pujara gets career-high second rank among test batsman.
- Named ‘Vikalp’ or alternative, the scheme aims to utilise vacant berths in many premier trains including Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto etc. in all major routes.
- On April 1, the Indian Railways is launching a new scheme under which passengers put on waiting lists can get confirmed berths in the next alternative train.
- Passengers will not be charged anything extra for the difference of fare.
9.Cauvery water dispute
- The SC said it will commence on July 11 the final hearing of the appeals filed by Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala against the 2007 award of the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal on sharing of water for 15 consecutive workings days.
- On October 18, last year the apex court had directed Karnataka to keep releasing 2000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu till further orders.
10.India’s first sign language dictionary
- The govt is all set to come up with the country’s first-of-its-kind dictionary which aims to bring uniformity in sign languages used by hearing and speech impaired people across the nation.
- The Indian Sign Language (ISL) dictionary, which is being developed by the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC).
- The dictionary is being developed in both print and video format.